PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Nearing the last quarter of this bowl of Wilke Surbrug’s Golden Sceptre in a late 40s, early 50s straight black sandblasted Wagner British Thorn 495 (Comoy’s second) pot with a black vulcanite saddle stem. We decided on a name for the new feral: Sam the Scamp. If you saw how he runs and acts, you'd call the little fella a scamp, too. :)
 Wagner_pot.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Was outside playing with Abner the Eager and Sam the Scamp. There's some jealous between them regarding me. Both tried to sneak in the house, and I managed to keep them out, and it is obvious to me that they are used to being inside to some extent. Anyway, I've a third of a bowl left of Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture in a year 2021 straight black sandblasted Peterson Ragaire 150 bulldog with a unmounted army mount tapered acrylic cumberland fish tail stem. That'll do it for me today.
Peterson_Ragaire_bulldog150 .jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Newminster Superior Round Slices in an Old German Bishop and Knight clay.

Oddity 1: The pipe was purchased from SmokingPipes where it's listed as a bit under 6" in length, but my pipe's about 9" long. No complaints here; I like the pipe regardless of its length.

Oddity 2: Autocorrect changed "Newminster" to "New monster", so that's what I'll be calling it my head from now on.
@Dave760 GH Mahogany in a vintage clay. Enjoyed the Redcoats & Revolutionaries event at Cromford Mill; getting my clay pipe lit from the blacksmith's forge was a big part of the show! Jason the blacksmith says my GH Brown Pigtail twist I was smoking in the clay smelled like the 18th century:)

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Watch City Glass Slipper in a new-to-me estate pipe that I sanitized and shined up a bit. Myron Air-Line is the brand. I did some research and Myron is a lighter company from France, so likely something that they contracted from a manufacturer. On the opposite side it says it’s made in Saint Claude France. Nice weight and really comfortable vulcanite stem. If anyone knows anything more about Myron pipes, please let me know. I want to dedicate a couple pipes to this blend as I think it’s going to be in my rotation for a long time. This pipe will do just nicely. View attachment 250750View attachment 250751
I suspect your pipe was converted to "system" pipe sometime after it was made and didn't come from the facotry that way. THe hallmarks are the marks of a company that made repair bands, Tim west sold them and used them here in the states through his company J.H. Lowe, same goes for the P-Lip style bit. That was the style of P-Lip stem blank sold and used by Tim West. Given that the band is slightly flared at the bottom, that's a dead giveaway of a band added at a date later than manufacture. I suspect your pipe was a conventional tenon pipe that incurred some sort of damage and the mortise was enlarged and tapered, a system style shank reinforcement added and a P-lip installed to make it a system pipe.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I've been smoking a new Peterson System Deluxe for the last few days. It has been a stubborn bastard. The first 5 smokes were bland but on the 6th smoke I finally got some expected flavors. I've smoked a single bowl of SWR and McConnell Scottish Flake in it and the rest has been aged PS Navy Flake.
I'll be packing a cob with the PS Navy Flake from 2020 for the morning drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.