PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Got curious about my Virginia twists, it's been about a month.
Fresh out of the jar:

20221027_205356 - Copy.jpg

After some heating, untwisting, plucking, heating and rubbing it turned into this.
20221027_211042 - Copy.jpg

I decided to wake up my (so far) favorite briar pipe, I don't smoke a briar that often.
It's a 25€ Jean Claude that came out of a basket.

20221027_212215 - Copy.jpg

My nose is tired with disease and snuff but I can still smell a light hay aroma.
What can I say, it's not that Oriental spice I wanted to recreate but something else.
It has the sweetness of a Virginia but with another really sweet and nutty note, even a touch of chocolate.
It's probably the bug that messes up my senses but I could swear this was a lighter version of my first aromatic, which turned out to have a very strong chocolate note.

It's not at all what I expected and I don't know what to make of it but I'm not complaining either.
No failures, just "happy little accidents", as Bob Ross would say.
And I have plenty left so there's plenty of room for these happy little accidents. Bring it on!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm about halfway or two-thirds through a bowl of 2019 Escudo in my #1 cob. Plenty of ghosts in this old cob: some Epiphany, random Englishes, at times I feel like I'm detecting those past bowls of Sutliff Voodoo Queen in particular. Deliberately smoking the same Virginia blend in all of my pipes (whether dedicated to Virginias or not) has been an interesting experience so far!

cob_esc_1027.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
After yesterday's screw up, I loaded the big Calabash Peterson original Sherlock Holmes original, with (this time the actual) Peterson Sherlock Holmes tobacco, lol. [I'm sure nobody here ever set out two tobaccos they'd never tried and got them mixed up, haha]. This is much more to my liking than the Peterson Irish Whiskey I was having yesterday and gets me a fair bit of the Virginia experience I've been enjoying in other blends lately - I'm too lazy to go dig out the tin I haven't opened since early Spring but the tin note to me is definitely citrus but almost grassy like Grousemoor, so that was a plus going in, but I'm not really getting a Grousemoor-ish flavor, for the most part. Will this replace Wilke No. 515 as my go to for two of my Sherlock Holmes pipes? No. Is it a good one to fit in from time to time? Yes! It's very easy going, sipping away as I've been browsing and now typing. So a good way to start an afternoon off!9FC54340-00A9-4301-87B6-F8FCDBCDA6B0.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've had a very busy day. Went to the dentist to get my fangs cleaned, and no cavities! M'lady and I celebrated by enjoying an off diet lunch at our favorite deli. I had a pastrami sub and an Italian sub with two pickles and potato salad. Dessert was two freshly baked oatmeal raisin cookies.

I did a set of walking reps, and smoked a bowl of year 2016 D&R Three Sails in an undated straight brush etched black Molina apple with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Molina_Apple.jpg

Then, I smoked a bowl of GLP Bankside in a smooth straight late 1970s Charatan Special 4148DC Reg. No. 203573 pot with a black double comfort vulcanite stem. I'm close to finishing my review of this VaPerLatDFK blend. Eight O'Clock Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Charatan_Special_pot.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011

Mac Baren: HH Burley Flake in a MM Cob...​

UfOMrLd.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A minute or two away from smoking year 2018 Esoterica Dunbar in a smooth straight, dark brown early 1960s Lane era Charatan Selected 43 Dublin with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. This pipe was formerly owned by actor William Conrad. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Conrad-Dublin copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.