PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Good afternoon. After lunch. Let's start by smoking a bowl of lpg: Spark Plug, in a MM Diplomat pipe, accompanied by a glass of whiskey. A stressful few weeks, the usual, work, my in-laws' health, wife's health, worries. The usual, in a normal day. In my city there are more pharmacies and dental centers than stars in our galaxy. God bless you and have a happy weekend. 1489721061795-there-will-be-blood-opening.jpeg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I thought my last two batches were (so far) a job well done and wanted to treat myself so I went to the place that sold me my first pipe and pipe tobacco. Of course their selection wasn't satisfying, I wanted a
Nightcap or Dark Moor/Night Owl. Instead I got these two.

View attachment 172181
Both came rather dry, I transferred the tobac into jars.

View attachment 172183
I just finished the first bowl of the Mac Baren, it started pleasant and mild but I wasn't impressed.
The second half was more to my taste, I got the pipe sizzling and had two cheeks full of thick and heavy smoke with a very mild aroma of... maybe Sherry? Also pretty unsatisfying when it comes to Vitamin N.
I like it but I don't see why this would cost 10,20€.
The Clan comes for 7,60€ and I know it's going to be a much more enjoyable smoke.
@Chaukisch Good to see my favourite clay pipe again - and I've tried both the Clan and Scottish Blend in my clay pipes.
A lot of pipe smokers dislike Clan heavily; I like the tartan packet and the smell of it!
I made a border for a greeting card from Clan packet tartan; I was really pleased with how it turned out!
The Clay pipe smoking competition I'm thinking of entering uses Clan so I need to get a packet to practice with once Stoptober is over!

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
I thought my last two batches were (so far) a job well done and wanted to treat myself so I went to the place that sold me my first pipe and pipe tobacco. Of course their selection wasn't satisfying, I wanted a
Nightcap or Dark Moor/Night Owl. Instead I got these two.

View attachment 172181

I just finished the first bowl of the Mac Baren, it started pleasant and mild but I wasn't impressed....
Looks like we're both smoking MacBaren Scottish Blend. If you don't like the pouch look for the tin in airports... but I have to agree, it's pleasant side-gig smoke (like when you are concentrating on something else) but fails to stand out.

Jun 23, 2019
A couple of Doctors to keep me company while I watch the NLD from home this early, rainy Saturday.

WCC Perisan Slipper in the Sandblast Brandy and SG Sam's Flake in the Smooth Hang Pot:

f3v3EjPl.jpg

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
A lot of pipe smokers dislike Clan heavily; I like the tartan packet and the smell of it!
I made a border for a greeting card from Clan packet tartan; I was really pleased with how it turned out!
The Clay pipe smoking competition I'm thinking of entering uses Clan so I need to get a packet to practice with once Stoptober is over!
Clan was my first pipe tobacco and I loved it from the start, I remember my first smell after opening the pouch, it was too overwhelming and I recoiled. 😁 The package is certainly decorative, I didn't dump the empty pouch yet either. Good luck with Stoptober!

Looks like we're both smoking MacBaren Scottish Blend. If you don't like the pouch look for the tin in airports... but I have to agree, it's pleasant side-gig smoke (like when you are concentrating on something else) but fails to stand out.
I had a second bowl in my cob and it got better. I guess it's the kind of blend that needs that briar taste to give it a little something more, I can't imagine it ghosting at all. In a clay it's really not much, for that I'll mix it with the Clan and see how that goes. They do go in the same direction of flavor and the Mac Baren could really need more of it.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Good afternoon.
Yachtsmans in a City de Luxe (orlik).
This was the prettiest little pipe, when I first got it. Sporting a gorgeous purple hue. Never seen a pipe that colour before or since. All faded now, terrible shame. Much like ourselves I suppose, with the passing years our looks go & we become jaded. Yes, all of a sudden I’m confronted with my own mortality. Sombre smokes! Lol
A5AE66B3-E35B-47CA-BBB0-4B1A59FA946A.jpeg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@Chaukisch Good to see my favourite clay pipe again - and I've tried both the Clan and Scottish Blend in my clay pipes.
Some might feel like ‘stoptober’ hasn’t started yet. First of the month & you’re on here talking about your poxy clay pipes again! Lol

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
First day of October -- cool, damp and overcast...

Appropriate Morning Smoke (after hearty breakfast of Eggs, Canadian Bacon and several cups of coffee): Peterson's Standard Mixture in a Dunhill Black Briar Prince (Group Size 4), along with my handy Rodgers of Sheffield pipe knife and 1950's Nimrod Commander pipe lighter

Attachments

• DSCN0080.JPG
    DSCN0080.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.