PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Open a cabinet and find some opened tins after a temporary break from smoking. Soooo....some Danish M on bottom and Germain's BF on top. Smoking my Ashton pot for this warm Friday morning. Light roast coffee with Italian sweet cream creamer.20211029_080409.jpg
Notes of Matured leather, earth, hickory, lavender, citrus, and dry almonds, with a sourness unique to DM in my mind.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Match My Mixture 965 PC in a Bob Hayes straight Dublin, rusticated, with bamboo stem. I think this is now called Mixture 20, to avoid trademark conflict, and it is a good match. Some might like it a little better. The late Bob Hayes sold me this pipe during the last hour of the TAPS pipe show at the N.C. State Fairgrounds for about a third its usual asking price. He was an award winning N.C. pipe carver with an interesting military and career history, a good guy.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Match My Mixture 965 PC in a Bob Hayes straight Dublin, rusticated, with bamboo stem. I think this is now called Mixture 20, to avoid trademark conflict, and it is a good match. Some might like it a little better. The late Bob Hayes sold me this pipe during the last hour of the TAPS pipe show at the N.C. State Fairgrounds for about a third its usual asking price. He was an award winning N.C. pipe carver with an interesting military and career history, a good guy.
mso - Do you find the Match 965 to be much different from the Peterson’ version? I never had the opportunity to try the original DH 965 but I like the Peterson version. I’ve got a bit cellared but I’d like to have more and I’m wondering if buying Match 965 might be a good way to go?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's been a while since I've smoked the Dunhill 965, and though I have several of the former Dunhill blends by Peterson, I don't have 965. So I'm going from memory. The Dunhill and Peterson versions are made by the same people, so they are the same except for variations in yearly sourcing of tobaccos and aging. By the best of my recollection, the Dunhill version was perhaps a little more subtle and complex, but this Match is maybe more lively and flavorful, but the differences are not obvious.

Incidentally, I went back to my posts on the late Bob Hayes who died in 2017 and found that he was the son-in-law of the Tarlers who founded C&D, so was a pipe person in that way too. He was a linguist with the Army and had quite a life story. He spoke German and Russian, so could communicate easily with pipe carvers from those countries.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
About a quarter of a bowl left from a first production tin (2013) of Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Jun 25, 2021
England
G&H Curly Cut Deluxe, struggling to believe this is 100% Virginia, there is a spiciness coming through the sweetness, and sour notes reminding me strongly of Perique, yet the description and @jiminks’s review don’t mention Perique. Reminds me of Cabbies too. Mr Jim can you weigh in?

Either way a very good smoke.
I agree with you spicy, sweet and sour definition, but I don't find anything in there are to remind me of cabbies mixture, nor do i detect any perique. But often do in some other tobaccos that don't list perique as an ingredient.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Open a cabinet and find some opened tins after a temporary break from smoking. Soooo....some Danish M on bottom and Germain's BF on top. Smoking my Ashton pot for this warm Friday morning. Light roast coffee with Italian sweet cream creamer.View attachment 105700
Notes of Matured leather, earth, hickory, lavender, citrus, and dry almonds, with a sourness unique to DM in my mind.
Nice piece of wood.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Well, late on the breakfast pipe again, but giving the other new guy a first run with some PS LBF. Stanwell 83. I find them to be good smokers at reasonable prices. More than likely stick with these as new pipe purchases until I get one for every day of week. This should be fun ?

C05C72B7-1814-4D7F-838E-C2BD4A8ABF65.jpeg