PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Just finished a bowl of Bosun Plug and heading off to bed. I will see you all in morning bright and early for more pipe adventures if the 'Big Fella' upstairs says it is to be so. Goodnight all!
After the production of "Condor" moved to Poland I basically wrote off the blend, especially given all the glum reviews. But then I read better, and I'm wondering what you re smoking these days, if you're smoking anything at all?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of aged Rattrays Hal O’ The Wynd in a straight smooth brown pre-1952 (Comoy’s) Corinthian De-Luxe 126 pot made for Sutliff in San Francisco with a black tapered vulcanite stem. First time smoking this pipe. I was waiting for the right tobacco to christen it with.
Comoy's_CorinthianDe-Luxe_Sutliff126 pot .jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A state (NSW, Oz) public holiday, so a couple more bowls this week.
"The Laziest Husband on the Block" actually spent a few hours in the yard attacking a much overgrown Himalayan bamboo (clumping) hedge, so I've actually earned my couple of hours on the front verandah today ?

A bowl of Former's Straight a Grain Flake in
A Dotter (Domagoj Telisman) canted egg morta with black bamboo extension.

Almost summery temperature today, so a Gosling's a Family Reserve rum, Fever Tree ginger ale with a wedge of Tahitian lime.

image.jpgimage.jpg

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
A quarter of the way through this bowl of aged Rattrays Hal O’ The Wynd in a straight smooth brown pre-1952 (Comoy’s) Corinthian De-Luxe 126 pot made for Sutliff in San Francisco with a black tapered vulcanite stem. First time smoking this pipe. I was waiting for the right tobacco to christen it with.
I'd guess, based upon what I've seen on ebay, read, and chats I've had with other pipe smokers, that the SF pipe and tobacconist shops commonly utilized Comoy's to order/make their shop stamped pipes from around the late 'teens to at least the early 40's. Who knows, maybe they had several manufactures make pipes for their shops, but I've only seen (several) Comoy's.

There was a Comoy's marked for David Hetzels San Francisco tobacco store on eBay earlier today. I think it was a 20's or 30's vintage.

Anyways, nice pipe, cool piece of history.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
To follow, a bowl of MacBaren's HH Arcadian Perique
In another Dotter canted egg. A briar with light "satin" blast, showing some nice ring grain. With a variegated ebony extension.
I came across a knife with a similar variegated ebony handle and asked Domagoj if he could source some for the shank extension. And this was the result. Nice highlight, without being too "blingy"

image.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just finished smoking year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'd guess, based upon what I've seen on ebay, read, and chats I've had with other pipe smokers, that the SF pipe and tobacconist shops commonly utilized Comoy's to order/make their shop stamped pipes from around the late 'teens to at least the early 40's. Who knows, maybe they had several manufactures make pipes for their shops, but I've only seen (several) Comoy's.

There was a Comoy's marked for David Hetzels San Francisco tobacco store on eBay earlier today. I think it was a 20's or 30's vintage.

Anyways, nice pipe, cool piece of history.
I know Sasieni made pipes for shops, too, but they don't show up nearly as much as Comoy's do.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
First time smoking Sutliff Black Virginia Plug in a straight black sandblasted WW2 Barling’s Make SS billiard with a black tapered vulcanite stem. First time smoking this pipe, too. When I was walking through the Sutliff plant, I saw a bin with a bag of this unreleased plug, a bag of Victoria crumble kake, and an unlabeled VaPer blend. They graciously gave me generous samples to smoke.
Barling_SS.jpg