PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
S̛̊͆͐M̿̃́̈̃͌́̑̑̔̌̉͆̆̀̚Ơ̐́̀̾̐̒̀̀̒͂̕͠͝K̅̿̃́͊̄͘͝͠Ì́̍͑͝Ǹ͐̌͗͐̊͑̎̆̀̚͝͠G͌̓͑̔̈̅̅́̌̐͐̕ C&D Pirate Kake
Incendiary Device: '90's Paykoc bent Bulldog Meerschaum with red saddle bit
Quenching Device: a second Boat Shoes IPA
Sonic Device: currently dialed in at Another Perfect Storm (brother of Disturbed's David Draiman)

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
After 2 bowls of C & D Sansepolcro in an Ali bent billiard meer, I can say this blend has definitely piqued my interest. It's good fresh out of the tin, but I'm going to put my other tins away and let them sit a while (at least 6 months). There's a small but persistent harshness to the mixture, that really seemed to become predominant halfway through each bowl, and I bet some age would settle that down. As far as plain old piping matters go, it burns very well in the bowl - I usually false light, tamp, and then second light, and that procedure was entirely sufficient for the tobacco to burn nicely down to the chamber bottom without any more intervention than an occasional light use of the tamper. I'm looking forward to another session with it this evening!

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Two army/military mounts + two from Danske Club - WHITE LUXURY and BLACK LUXURY:-

1) "COMOY'S STERLING" "Made in London England" on the shank / shape 25 Straight Billiard in a Walnut Finish / mount stamped HC (Henri Comoy founder of The House of Comoy), 900 w/ marks for London 1979.
2) "BARLING LONDON ENGLAND 5297 T.V.F." on the shank / Dublin shape w/ rubbed crossed Barling logo on the stem / E.B W.B (Edwin and William Barling) STERLING SILVER and stamps for London 1976 on the mount.

20200605_160618_resized.jpg

The army or military mount is accepted as an appropriate term even though they were used on pipes in the 1880s and thus well before The Boer War and some twenty years before WWI and I'd prefer to term them sport mounts due to their practicality when out riding, hunting or shooting as opposed to the impracticality of the bone screw tenon for those pursuits. Analogous to the pocket watch with the open face for regular use and the half or full Hunter when out and about in the field.

An example by B.C (one of the 19th Century's long lost pipe makers or early nomenclature for Butz-Choquin?) stamped for London 1899:-
20200605_160750_resized.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.