PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Trying out some Gawith Hoggarth Coniston Cut Plug for the first time this morning, in a Dr. Grabow Lark.

View attachment 321104

I've always heard lots of people describe Lakeland blends as soapy tasting, but I've never found that to be the case. I've had Ennerdale, Kendal Black Cherry, Rum Flake, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Kendal Dark, and War Horse plus a few other blends with light floral elements and never found any of them to be at all soapy... until now.

The backbone of Coniston Cut Plug is definitely the dark fired Kentucky, and there's quite a bit of chocolatey Burley and bright Virginia flavors going on too, but then there's that light Lakeland essence that in this particular case tastes (to me at least) exactly like how the hand soap you find in those gas station bathroom pump dispensers smells. It's not pleasantly floral like all the other Lakelands I've had, it's just soapy. Blech!

It's a darn shame too, because the blend of tobaccos used in this one is delightful. The retrohale is smooth as silk and the nicotine content is out of this world, but that little underlying hand soap flavor note just makes my stomach flip flop and I ended up having to dump the bowl out halfway through. I wonder what essences make Coniston Cut Plug different from all the other Lakelands I've had, since I've never found any of the others to be soapy (though War Horse was rather mothball'y). Weirdness.
Sounds like that pipe may need to go in the oven after that. Gross.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I think I may have a ghosted pipe. After reaming bowl and shank and a long salt/Everclear treatment (on what was a pretty clean estate) the new to me Kaywoodie 90’s initial half bowl of Dark BirdsEye tasted more like a bowl of Dark Flake Aromatic😐
After a long rest of an hour or so, we shall see if it was the pipe or tobacco (the DBE was from a more recent batch than my initial supply-could be a GH scent carryover).
No panty sauce on Five Brothers though, of that I’m sure!
IMG_1129.jpeg

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
I think I may have a ghosted pipe. After reaming bowl and shank and a long salt/Everclear treatment (on what was a pretty clean estate) the new to me Kaywoodie 90’s initial half bowl of Dark BirdsEye tasted more like a bowl of Dark Flake Aromatic😐
After a long rest of an hour or so, we shall see if it was the pipe or tobacco (the DBE was from a more recent batch than my initial supply-could be a GH scent carryover).
No panty sauce on Five Brothers though, of that I’m sure!
View attachment 321132
That looks like a one-piece shank - very nice for a Lumberman - and the grain 😍
I have tried 5bro - some strong tobacco there :rolleyes: :sher::sher:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching Mad Dog Russo. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg