PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking GLP Westminster in a 2014 straight MM Missouri Pride Legend with a black plastic stem. My good friend who adopted two of the three orange tabbies we had gave me a sample of this blend. Since he smokes it in a cob, I thought I would as well. Watching an old Roy Rogers movie.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Sam Gawith Special Flake No. 3 in a Bjarne Nielsen Bent Bulldog
20230604_145411-jpg.226027

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of a bowl left of Watch City Original Crumb Cut in a 1950s-60s straight smooth brown Bertram 07 octagonal paneled billiard with a square shank and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Snacking follows this smoke, and I always follow snacking. :)
Bertram_07 _panel_billiard.jpg

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Cornell & Diehl Briar Fox in a Morgan Bones Milan for me tonight, with some cold brewed iced coffee with a little milk and sugar to sip on.puffy

20240627005733_IMG_6076~3.JPG

At this point in my pipe journey I've been smoking my pipes on a nearly daily basis for just about two years, and in that time I've accumulated a cellar with 87 eight ounce Ball jars full of different blends as I've tried to figure out what I like and don't like; but I've never purchased more than one tin of any given tobacco. I think Briar Fox is going to the first exception to that trend.

After a whole ton of trial and error with a wide variety of blends in every style from dozens of different manufacturers, I think Briar Fox just hits all my favorite notes that I enjoy in pipe tobacco. It's a bit grassy citrusy bright Virginia, a bit dark and leaf litter'y red Virginia, a bit nutty and cocoa'y mellow Burley, and just a tiny amount of unsweetened black canvendish to bring it all together and smooth out the smoke.

It's fairly retrohale friendly and gentle on the sinuses, and the nicotine content is quite satisfying but not so much that I have to fear nicotine sickness or worry about how long I've been smoking for. I like the crumble cake form factor too, since it keeps the tobacco nice and compact for pouch transportation but is easy to break up and load by hand with no special tools required. Really the only complaint I could make about Briar Fox is that the room note is a little heavy for indoor smoking and it's probably not going to make you any new friends smoking it outdoors, but I can forgive it that since I really love everything else about this blend.

So, once I go through the process of selling off the 60 or so blends in my cellar that I'm never going to smoke again to make a little space I think there's going to be a couple pounds of Briar Fox in my future. It's a goodie!

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Fed all the ferals except for Abner the Eager, who I haven't seen in several days. I'm half way through this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg