weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011

G. L. Pease: Quiet Nights in a Meer...​

JF8XvBC.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, big porterhouse steak and lightly buttered baked potato with a big slice of chocolate cake and sliced strawberries for dessert on an off-diet day. I'm half way through this bowl of first release Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Rain hasn't turned to snow yet, but big Stripesy showed up wet and cold and ready to eat.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
I reached the half century mark a while ago so not that young. I just started smoking a pipe in late September of last year and my wife is already saying NO when she sees me on ebay or smokingpipes.
You could remind her about the boys at Eton during The Great Plague

"Londoners also employed various superstitious measures to protect them from the disease. Wearing lucky charms was common, and was even recommended by doctors and because the plague was thought to be caused by foul air, people tried to ward it off by burning brimstone (sulphur) — as recommended by the College of Physicians — or by wearing perfumes, carrying fragrant flowers or smoking tobacco. At Eton College smoking became a requirement and boys who did not smoke were punished by whipping. One preventative method that may have had some success was the avoidance of direct contact between traders and their customers. Rather than handing money direct to the trader, customers put their coins into a bowl of vinegar. And the goods purchased were sometimes handed over on the end of a long hook.
1643418080387.png From the Encyclopedia of the Black Death by Joseph P. Byrne

“For personal disinfections nothing enjoyed such favour as tobacco; the belief in it was widespread, and even children were made to light up a reaf in pipes. Thomas Hearnes remembers one Tom Rogers telling him that when he was a scholar at Eton in the year that the great plague raged, all the boys smoked in school by order, and that he was never whipped so much in his life as he was one morning for not smoking. It was long afterwards a tradition that none who kept a tobacconist shop in London had the plague.”
A J Bell writing in about 1700.

Good evening All
A bowl of Peter Stokkebye’s Luxury Navy Flake in a Peterson 313? during this morning’s walk to work.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
Looks smart - like the pipe Sherlock Holmes smoked in Pursuit to Algiers (1945)
20220128_193759.jpg

Sutliff Dark Chocolate in a Peterson System Standard. I've smoked this pipe every Friday night since I got it. Mostly with aromatics so my wife can sit near me.View attachment 124771
I remember similar figurines in the 1970s which had Made in Taiwan stickers on the base ... or is yours made in Italy with a Capodimonte backstamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.