Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I & Co. in a horizontal diamond stamped on the shank (the mark for Inderwick & Co. 1797-2000)

E.I over G.I over H.J.I stamped on the mount
View attachment 62183
with marks for London 1900

+ Dunhill FLAKE
View attachment 62246

Watching WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

Inderwick & Co. were also dealers in clay pipes but on clays the stamp was incuse INDERWICK instead of I & Co.
Below is a mid-late 19th cent. example - with slightly later band repair and horn stem - alongside another typical Burns Cutty of the period with similar band repair and stem by T. Milo (Theophilus Milo operated in Finch Lane in the City of London between 1860 and 1870 and was also in business as a tobacconist in the Strand) as well as three examples of the typical Burns Cutty clay from the same period alongside an early 20th cent. unsmoked example from the early 20th cent. by C. Crop & Sons (C.Crop - from the 1840s or 1856 depending on where you search to 1910 or to 1924 according to which source material you consult) complete the picture
View attachment 62247

The Clay Cutty
"In the 'fifties (1850s) the pipes smoked were mostly clays. There were the long clays or “churchwardens,” to be smoked in hours of ease and leisure; and the short clays—“cutties”—which could be smoked while a man was at work. Milo, a tobacconist in the Strand, and Inderwick, whose shop was near Leicester Square, were famous for their pipes, which could be bought for 6d. apiece. A burlesque poem of 1853, in praise of an old black pipe, says:

Famed are the clays of Inderwick, and fair
The pipes of Fiolet from Saint Omer.
(From Notes and Queries -
September 27, 1913)

Colonel Harold Malet at the same time wrote -
“When I was a cadet at Sandhurst in 1855-58, Milo’s cutty pipes were quite the thing, and the selection by cadets of a good one out of a fresh consignment packed in sawdust was eagerly watched by the ‘Johns.’ (Major-General John Le Marchant, first Governor of the Royal Military College, c.1810).”
Excellent information. I know a lot of the clays I used to find in the Thames as a kid had the stems broken down to only a few inches to make for easier clenching whilst working with both hands on the old ships (you could find teeth marks on some). I know a lot of the skulls found from those days have their teeth worn away in a circle from the wear of the clay against the enamel where they worked with their pipe clenched all day for years. The working classes rarely used the Churchwardens as is, generally they broke the stem down to suit their personal needs. Keep the info coming please it’s fascinating.

Jun 23, 2019
Going to be a long and bumpy week at work, up early since 4:30 but enjoying my first bowl now at 7:30 - just enough of a nic hit to keep my sanity: Dunhill's Elizabethan in this Doctor's Crazy Bamboozled Bent Pot.

Jdf3dT2l.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Starting off my smoking day with a bowl of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Cats and humans kept me awake, so I gave in, and am having a smoke.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.