PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
@virkia Love that clay churchwarden!
Would be a shame to smoke it as it would discolour though!
I'm not going to smoke a 19th cent. churchwarden - as I just know I'd break it sooner or later and that would pain me - but I've smoked later examples from the 1950s out of the Southorn & Co. works before they closed down in 1960. In truth they look better 'discoloured'.

Three from the 1950s by W. Southorn & Co.:-
20210208_072307.jpg
20210208_072345.jpg

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
I'm not going to smoke a 19th cent. churchwarden - as I just know I'd break it sooner or later and that would pain me - but I've smoked later examples from the 1950s out of the Southorn & Co. works before they closed down in 1960. In truth they look better 'discoloured'.

Three from the 1950s by W. Southorn & Co.:-
View attachment 64864
View attachment 64863
You got Halfdans attention right quick !

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
Quarter way through first ever bowl of Bayou Morning Flake in my Sav. Miele 316 KS. Damn this stuff is tasty! Elizabethan didn't hook me, but this did not three puffs in. Tried it because Bayou Night is my all day blend... well, Bayou Night may have to let its Morning counterpart drive for a bit! Nice and bready, not as much grass as Elizabethan, nice interplay of black pepper and stone fruit going on at the front of my tongue.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Afternoon everyone, my recent order just arrived, I got plenty of 1792 Flake and I thought I’d try McLintock Black C, cherry and coffee apparently but I’m not getting it. I think my aromatic days are passing, nothing ever tastes like it says it does. Perhaps 40 years of hand rolled Samson killed my taste buds even though I quit a year ago (they stopped selling Samson in the UK and nothing else was good enough). I guess that just means more lovely Lat blends and VaPers to smoke. Huzzah!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Starting off my day with a bowl of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve been eying up Crystal Palace. What’s your thoughts?
Well, it's a Latakia blend, so if that's your bag I'd go for it... There's a lot more to this than just your average "English Blend" though. The inclusion of cavendish smooths it out and provides some bottom. The Latakia, while noticeable, is not overpowering. Throw into the mix Virginia, Perique and Burley and there's a potpourri of flavors, all working very well together. Sweet, sour, smoky, grassy, nutty and plum flavors - the profile vacillates as the bowl progresses; in a good way.

My recommendation is Double Down on this offering...

Status
Not open for further replies.