PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
I see a lot of people with these lighters. What is it, and how well does it work in wind?
Looks similar to my mechanical (flint and gas) Maruman bought in the mid-late 1970s.
"How well does it work in wind?" You can see from its condition that I used it a lot so it must've done the job when I used to smoke a pipe out and about back in the day.

In the windiest conditions you'd be better off with something like a Falcon Nimrod or a Zippo Pipe (flint and fuel)
20210222_083307.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Starting off my smoking day with a bowl of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking the last of this sample of RO Acadian VaPer in a 1991 Ashton Brindle X straight brown sandblast dublin with a square shank and tapered square acrylic cumberland stem. Cold and rainy, so no walking reps for me today unless the rain stops.
Ashton_BrindleX_11.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of well aged Bald Headed Teacher in a medium brown, smooth octagonal paneled bowl and shank, medium bend 2016 Tim West Book Keeper 6 with a black acrylic saddle stem. The outside feral cats were at my back door, soaking wet and crying for food. I took a towel, dried them off as much as they would let me and fed them.
Tim_West_Bookkeeper.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Peterson 2019 special reserve in a Meer lined Lacroix two star No605. I couldn’t bring myself to order Erinmore but I thought I’d give Rattray’s Marlin Flake a go and Thomas Radfords Sunday Fantasy, a blend supposedly unchanged in over 300 years.
Many of the reviews I read for Erinmore mentioned Juicy Fruit chewing gum and although I’ve not tasted that in over 40 years I doubt my opinion of it’s flavour is unchanged. I already have too many aro’s that I won’t touch again and need to redistribute to others. image.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Sorry this isn’t pipe related but I’m sure many of you will find this interesting. Several years ago I found this black stone up by Newhaven Fort (built to repel a Napoleonic attack but occupied since Roman occupation), I originally thought it was shrapnel, steel casing from a WWll bomb but when I got home I realised it was just a hard stone and tossed it in a pot containing one of my house plants. Fast forward about five years to last week and while repotting the plant I once again found this black stone. It’s heavy and it was obvious that this isn’t from the local area (chalk & flint) so I cleaned it up with a stiff brush.
I believe I’ve found a sharpening stone that once belonged to a Viking which is unusual because the Vikings never occupied this part of Britain. The owner has utilised the natural breaks in the stone to fashion a bear that I really hope will show up in photos (if not this whole thing is a waste of your time and mine). Only a little work was needed to shape the area between the legs of the bear, all the rest is natural. Also the pointed area lower right resembles a Ravens head. image.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
The other side of the stone is what makes me believe it was for sharpening as you’ll see, but along the side of the stone a straight line has been carved and on either side are lightning bolts, a representation of the God Thor.
This is incredibly exciting and I’m in the process of contacting the Sussex Archeological finds officer to report it and hopefully have it verified. I hope you all find this as exciting as I have. If not, sorry ? image.jpgimage.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
While being excited by my stone I was smoking 1792 in a Bantam Bulldog on my Falcon. I could write a book about the other features of the stone, it’s obviously been handled a lot and it’s edges are worn smooth from that handling. I’m thinking it may have been a trophy, taken from a vanquished foe a thousand years ago and brought south. Interesting note- Newhaven was originally called Meeching, an Anglo-Saxon word meaning “People of the Sword”.

Status
Not open for further replies.