PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Am curious to know how this blend smokes for you through the bowl. If found with the 2023 (when new at least) the flavors just went away about 1/2 way...

My bricks of 2023 are still sealed and tucked away, so at this time, I can only comment on the 2022 release. I’ve always found that the 2022 Folklore burns beautifully. I smoked this slowly and gently and got just over five hours of smoking time out of this chamber load—I would say the sweet, stewed fruit, spicy hint of clove, and tartness was present throughout, with the perceived spiciness seemingly elevated the last two hours. If the flavour is disappearing on you, it’s possible you may be smoking it a little fast. It will be awhile before I get around to the 2023, so what you’ve experienced may in fact be how the blend behaves.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
My bricks of 2023 are still sealed and tucked away, so at this time, I can only comment on the 2022 release. I’ve always found that the 2022 Folklore burns beautifully. I smoked this slowly and gently and got just over five hours of smoking time out of this chamber load—I would say the sweet, stewed fruit, spicy hint of clove, and tartness was present throughout, with the perceived spiciness seemingly elevated the last two hours. If the flavour is disappearing on you, it’s possible you may be smoking it a little fast. It will be awhile before I get around to the 2023, so what you’ve experienced may in fact be how the blend behaves.
too fast is very likely my issue! will be breaking in out again soon, will see if I have improved. :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Smoked a couple of bowls of Wilke English while working on an art commission in the studio, and have less than a third of a bowl left of D&R Windsail in a smooth straight dark brown family era “Canadian” by Sasieni with a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Sasieni "Canadian".jpg

After months of trying, I managed to get a photo through the glass door of an orange and white cat that's snuck around here a few times to eat. It reminds me a tad of Tomato the Brave, only this cat is more afraid of me than Shy Stripesy.
Orange&White.jpg

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I really enjoyed this Saturday's ZOOM meeting with my pipe friends, not only the fun conversations, warm camaraderie, and the usual ball-busting, but a very tasty smoke.
I savored some 2017 Christmas Cheer in my Perspex stemmed GBD Prehistoric 508 bent billiard, partnered with a mug of Barrie House Indonesian Sumatra coffee. It made for quite a satisfying afternoon.

1702195700779.png

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a big and tasty golden delicious apple, and just finished smoking year 2013 Capstan Blue Ready Rubbed in a straight smooth brown 1933-1945 Comoy’s patent Grand Slam 127 billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Was watching a documentary about the death of George "Superman" Reeves. No question in my mind that it was murder and not suicide.
Comoy's_Grand Slam_127billiard.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Half way through this bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. I'll end the day with this smoke.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Couldn't sleep, so I got up, and decided to check on the ferals. Daisy and Tomato were waiting on me even though it is extremely unusual for me to be awake at this time. Somebody ate the food I had left before I went to bed. Anyway, it's raining, and as I put down the dry food, Abner the Eager ran up on the deck, wet and hungry, so I got a towel and dried him off. Guess it wasn't him who ate that food. Everybody's eating in peace now.

I am smoking year 2014 Orlik Golden Sliced in an early 20th century Gordon Special Bruyere 49 apple with a triangular shank and tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Gordon Special Bruyere 49 apple.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.