Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina

Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Dark Flake Unscented in a Meer...​

GL50Lv3.jpg
I love the hat

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
A third of the way through this bowl of year 2016 Sutliff 507-C Slices in a black sandblast PSB medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 228/500 military mount with a silver cap and a vulcanite black tapered AB stem. Such a cool, clean smoker these 4ABs are. I pull up very little moisture when I Q-Tip clean the well.
View attachment 112552
You are killing me with these new pipes Jim!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, rainbow trout and snow peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I've about a third of a bowl left of Ken Byron Ventures Mr. Christian’s Comfy Mixture in a 1975 medium bend sandblasted looking, smooth on the sides yellow Pioneer meer billiard with a black ferrule and vulcanite stem in the military mount style. Working on a review of this blend. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Pioneer meer billiard .jpg

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
How does this pipe smoke? I grew up reading and adoring SH stories. Would love to own a pipe like this to rekindle my childhood memory.
Yes, I can't imagine anyone - young or old - not being a fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories ...

As for pipe brands mentioned in the stories the author was unfortunately light on details and I think only ADP (Adolph David Posener) got a mention in The Adventure of Silver Blaze, "There was a box of vestas, two inches of tallow candle, an A.D.P. briar-root pipe, a pouch of sealskin with half an ounce of long-cut cavendish,..."
No mention of the other top brands of the day such as BBB, Barling, GBD etc.

If you're aiming for accuracy - i.e. based on the famous Sidney Paget illustrations - there's the long-stemmed cherrywood pipe ...
In “The Adventure of the Copper Beeches.” Holmes and Watson are discussing the latter’s chronicling of their adventures: “You have erred, perhaps,” he [Holmes] observed, taking up a glowing cinder with the tongs and lighting with it the long cherry-wood pipe which was wont to replace his clay when he was in a disputatious rather than a meditative mood….”
1638582983280.png

... the black or blackened-through-use clay ...
In “The Red-Headed League,” Watson describes a contemplative Holmes: “… there he sat with his eyes closed and his black clay pipe thrusting out like the bill of some strange bird.
1638582299870.png

... or a straight briar, sometimes with a mount
In “The Man With The Twisted Lip,” Watson recalls, “In the dim light of the lamp I saw him sitting there, an old briar pipe between his lips, his eyes fixed vacantly upon the corner of the ceiling, the blue smoke curling up from him….”
1638582543832.png1638583262938.png

20211203_201729.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Looking forward to a couple of bowls today after spending a few days with my son and family last weekend in their non-smoking (4yr granddaughter) home.

Light lunch of that Aussie staple, a meat pie, followed by a cuppa tea and a couple of Scottish shortbread bikies.

A bowl of Dunhill My Mixture 965

In one of my new arrivals - a 1918 Civic bent billiard

And with it a peck of 1973 Grosperrin Petite Champagne cognac.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.