PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdutson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2021
Houston TX
If you haven't lookin into your pipe's history here's some info gleaned from the internet:-

"In 1951 Marvin Greene, renowned artist and film producer, set out to change the face of pipe smoking in both a stylish and functional manner. He decided to employ the pipe making genius Tracy Mincer to assist in designing such a pipe. The first goal of the team was to make the pipe the coolest smoker of its time. To this end they decided to place as many air intake holes as they could around the bowl of the pipe. This was their first mistake. The holes actually served no practical purpose as they only hampered the draw without any of the cooling properties they sought. The second goal was to create a pipe that mirrored the space-crazy styles of the early 1950s. To achieve this, they carved deep rings around the outside of the bowl to mimic the rings around Saturn. While quite stylish for the time, it actually further hampered the smokeability of the pipe as it created alternating cool and hot sections surrounding the bowl. Not only did this cause rampant burnout, it made it virtually impossible to correctly gauge the heat of the tobacco and further reduced the cooling of the smoke sought by the intake holes. As the project deadline approached, they realized that there was no way to save the pipe and, even worse, they were out of money for the project. While neither man wanted to have his name attached to such a horrific piece of pipe technology, they had to put it into production to cover the cost of the prototypes. They both spent the last few days of production trying desperately, and in vain, to discover a solution. As chance would have it they were assisted by Mr. Greene's son. He suggested that they market the pipe at such a price that it would only be available to the super rich. Such a person he reasoned would be unlikely to broadcast the fact that he had purchased such a horrendous, expensive item. Instead they would all speak of it as the best pipe they had ever purchased. As for the name, he said that they should name it "doodler" because it was artistic and it aptly described the pipe as no better than dog doodle. The pipe went into full production and saw record sales. Mr. Greene's son was entirely correct as to its reception and both Mr. Greene and Mr. Mincer retired a few years later as very wealthy men."
From: The Complete Guide to Pipes of the Early 20th Century by Phillip J. Fry

"I'll buy that for a dollar"
While your example is clearly not made of briar "genuine briar" was definitely used as seen in this 1941 advert
View attachment 91814

View attachment 91810View attachment 91811
Y’all this is great thanks. Love the history!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Circa 1960’s Whitehall Mixture in a clay gouda. Not a bad smoke; typical old school OTC flavor. Nutty Burley, grassy Virginia, molasses, coriander, and a slight floral perfume note. The perfume is the tin note.

A slight bite if pressed. Similar to what Mixture 79 is I imagine, although I’ve never smoked Mixture 79…

F750-FF6-E-E7-C4-4-FA3-8084-09-F21-B0-D643-D.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Close to finishing my last smoke of the day: Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a smooth brown medium bend early 1900s C.P.F. The Chesterfield (Peterson copy) French briar military mount billiard with a nickel cap and black vulcanite AB p-lip stem. First time smoking this pipe.
Chesterfield_Bent BilliardMM_AB.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Afternoon everyone, I’ve just finished some Trail Head in the Yello Bole, Cascadia/Scandinavia nailed these plugs, five for five, not a dud among them.
Now I’m going to fire up some Sutliff 507-S stoved Va in a Morgan, love this blend.
Late to the party as usual, here’s my Nutt Hurricane with Bakelite cover. Living on the South Coast with its frequent gales it comes in handy and works as it should.image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.