PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
GH&Co Dark Plug in a Weber Silvergrain. I just received a box of this in the mail manufactured in May 2021, so I sliced off a bit as I was putting the rest in Mylar. I have several boxes in my cellar, but nothing out in my working stash. Figured I’d smoke some “fresh”.

FB22-D4-F1-6974-4-DB2-A9-AE-243693-FA3-C2-D.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am almost half way through this bowl of Pfeifen Huber Virginia Golden Flake in a straight smooth brown post-WWII Comoy’s Grand Slam billiard 27 Canadian patent 341422 with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Comoy’s_Grand Slam_billiard 27 Can._patent.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
@jiminks -- Good Morning, Jim-

Thnx for your great reviews! I'm guessing that you must be a, "supertaster," according to some (albeit dated) online material I read from Dr. Linda Bartoshuk.

A "Taste of Home" video got me thinking about tasting recently. Many spend lots of time tasting (tobacco, coffee, tea, etc) and/or reading reviews like your great ones and for me in particular--you are a big help. Learning about taste and identifying particular notes enriches my experience.

Yes--I can spot right off what tastes good to me or not, yet there's more to than that--the pleasures of nuances and education as to what I like and don't (and why) are fun! And if Dr. Bartoshuk is correct, and I have no reason to argue with her findings and postulations, some people have lots more "taste buds" (my phrase, not her's) than others--and I'm talking WAY LOTS MORE. These folks are, "supertasters," and I'm thinking that may describe you, kind sir! Also, while she mentions chefs in the cadre of supertasters, my guess is that blenders like Jeremy and smokers like Shane fit this model.

I wonder if blenders are aware of these details in their understanding of their customer base. Perhaps "codger blends" have less subtleties than others since aging may bring on a further diminishment of flavor awareness.

Hope your week's super, Jim.

kindly to all,
mike

ps--seems to me that knowing my limitations is part of wisdom and so, knowing that one of my family members is a "supertaster," and thus more sensitive than I--is immensely helpful as I season what I cook for the Family, smoke in Family areas, etc :))-- Again, for me!! Of course, knowing what, "is" versus, "why" interests some of us and not others. To each his/her own :))

Interestingly, Dr. Bartoshuk has several spin-offs from this work that others may find worthwhile considering, including potential consequences for health-in particular for women, understanding aspects of aging, etc.
Thanks for all the compliments. Honestly, I never think about it much at all. I just do what I do, and hope my reviews help the community. That's all I ever cared about.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Well, the Braves got the best of the Giants over the weekend. The Braves look really good right now, and it's hard to imagine how dangerous they'd be with Mr. Acuña Jr. healthy.

Now smoking Gawith, Hogarth & Co. Dark.Plug in a Savinelli Series III lumberman

View attachment 95112
I wish Acuna was playing. The Braves would have been in better shape if their ace, Mike Sirotka, hadn't ripped his achilles tendon. And if they weren't so cheap, they could have kept Mark Melancon. For three million bucks, he would have stayed. The man is leading baseball in saves, and he's not worth three million? That's crazy. They went the Will Smith as their closer, and he's a heart attack waiting to happen when he pitches.

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Second pipe of the day. I moved one to a Don Carlos and a 2012 HOTW.
Thoughts out to everyone in the path of Hurricane Ida.
On a brighter note, today is the 200th Anniversary of the publication of the book of Frankenstein. “What hump?
John Kelly
I am including a photo of an Amish farmer, who lives across the road, plowing.
90B8590E-D78A-4877-940E-60D3C4BAF4C4.jpeg67E2E830-7366-4FC5-9E7F-9F3B55DE722A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.