PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It could be body chemistry tolerance or it could be the size bowl you smoke it in. As is my custom, when I was reviewing the blend, I smoked big bowls to capture everything I could find in the blend. That makes a difference.

Everybody's experience will vary. I can only state what mine is.

My bad, I didn’t elaborate very well.

I’m simply talking about blends, that are defined as light, medium, heavy.

I’ve always been under the impression that the strength of tobacco doesn’t change by the size of the chamber, but that a pot size, simply allows the blend to breathe more and allow for more nuances/flavors to come through.

Someone would need to have a really weird body chemistry if they thought Fribourg & Treyer Golden Mixture or SWR, was more stout in flavor and nicotine when compared to blends like 1792, Five Brothers, or HH Rustica.

Of course everyone has different tolerances and body chemistry, but that doesn’t change the composition of a blend. It would simply mean, someone could as example, smoke HH Rustica all the time and to them it’s not stout, but it still doesn’t mean it’s a blend as light in flavor or nicotine like Golden Mixture or SWR.

So, for some reason, I was under the impression the Birds of a Feather line, were considered pretty rich medium to slightly heavier blends, not like 1792 heavier, but then Paradoxical with Rustica, I assumed would be somewhat stout.

For a few blends that come to mind, the Anomalous was in the same strength of flavors like Brighton and Tilbury, and I thought it would be a little more robust is all, not as light.

So would you say in strength of flavors, it’s in the same wheelhouse as Brighton or Tilbury, what you experienced?

Or maybe it’s pretty close to Dunbar and Dorchester too, but that’s about it.

I hope I made better sense clarity now. :)

P.S. And for newer pipe smokers, light blends don’t necessarily mean they lack flavor(s). Light blends can be very rich and complex too.

Last edited:

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
First smoke in my last homemade from February:

https://pipesmagazine.com/Forums/threads/to-fill-or-not-to-fill-that’s-the-question.96252/

I smoked a lot of „University Flake“ at that time, and so the choice of tobacco was clear for this one. And it smokes as expected with airway drilled up to 4mm and a preformed ebonite mouthpiece. I filed and widened a V-slot from the bite down to 30mm into the stem. Smooth smoking.

View attachment 213954
Not typically a fan of the bulldog shape unless it's a low Rhodesian, but the taller proportions of your pipe and the diamond shank are really nice. What does the shank to bowl transition look like on the bottom?

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Were you at the show? I know they passed out about a hundred tins. The only reason I ask is because of how low your number is on the can.

I was not, but a guy who is fairly new to the hobby who I’ve been helping out with tobacco samples and advice was there. He sent me this tin as a thank you. I thought it was awfully nice of him.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, rainbow trout and green beans dinner with a big slice of Boston creme pie for dessert. I'm nearing the last quarter of this bowl of year 2020 Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake in a straight smooth brown 1933-1945 Comoy’s patent Grand Slam 159 *4 apple with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Comoy's_Grand Slam_159apple.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My bad, I didn’t elaborate very well.

I’m simply talking about blends, that are defined as light, medium, heavy.

I’ve always been under the impression that the strength of tobacco doesn’t change by the size of the chamber, but that a pot size, simply allows the blend to breathe more and allow for more nuances/flavors to come through.

Someone would need to have a really weird body chemistry if they thought Fribourg & Treyer Golden Mixture or SWR, was more stout in flavor and nicotine when compared to blends like 1792, Five Brothers, or HH Rustica.

Of course everyone has different tolerances and body chemistry, but that doesn’t change the composition of a blend. It would simply mean, someone could as example, smoke HH Rustica all the time and to them it’s not stout, but it still doesn’t mean it’s a blend as light in flavor or nicotine like Golden Mixture or SWR.

So, for some reason, I was under the impression the Birds of a Feather line, were considered pretty rich medium to slightly heavier blends, not like 1792 heavier, but then Paradoxical with Rustica, I assumed would be somewhat stout.

For a few blends that come to mind, the Anomalous was in the same strength of flavors like Brighton and Tilbury, and I thought it would be a little more robust is all, not as light.

So would you say in strength of flavors, it’s in the same wheelhouse as Brighton or Tilbury, what you experienced?

Or maybe it’s pretty close to Dunbar and Dorchester too, but that’s about it.

I hope I made better sense clarity now. :)

P.S. And for newer pipe smokers, light blends don’t necessarily mean they lack flavor(s). Light blends can be very rich and complex too.
Compared to other VaPer blocks, my experience was that Anonmalous had quite a bit of heft to it. Very deep, rich flavor with a fair amount of potency. I have a very high nicotine tolerance, but I couldn't smoke it all day no matter what the bowl size is. I have to gauge that way in general, and particularly when reviewing. The fact that you don't see it as strong as I do relates to the differences in body chemistry more than it does experience as far as I can see. I find it stronger and richer than Brighton and Tilbury.

The Katerini perique in Anomalous is quite stout. I've smoked several bowls of KP straight, and could smoke that straight a couple of times a day with a fair amount of comfort. But, it's still strong, and it certainly shows itself in Anomalous enough that I rate the blend where I rate it. Mostly, my ratings reflect what I believe blends to be for the average smoker, and not for myself.

Last edited:

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Rattray's Highland Targe in a Kaywoodie Flame Grain shape 07 billiard. I don't know what it is about this blend, but I taste something in here that I don't get in other blends and it drives me crazy, in a good way. Once I have a bowl of this, I end up smoking it every night for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.