PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Besides textbooks, currently working on Asimov's The Currents of Space, Meltdown by Patrick J. Michaels, Tolkien's Beren and Lutien, and The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Following my own advice, I'm re-reading The Will To Power and The Doctrine of Awakening sort of at the same time.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton. Not what I thought is would more of a western. Still a very good book.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Hiroshima's Shadow edited by Kai Bird and Lawrence Lifschultz

The subtitle is Writings On The Denial Of History And The Smithsonian Controversy
I just finished the preface and introduction, it should be an interesting read.

Jan 8, 2013
I be currently readin' Star Wars Aftermath. 'tis a tale based on events happenin' aft Return O' Th' Jedi.
By the way, it's International Talk Like A Pirate Day :mrgreen:

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
51tNrFJwKgL.jpg

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Was Herman Melville a pipe smoker? I never saw him on one of those famous pipe smoker lists, but I'd say he was: "Some moments passed, during which the thick vapor came from his mouth in quick and constant puffs, which blew back again into his face. 'How now' he soliloquized at last, withdrawing the tube, 'this smoking no longer soothes. Oh, my pipe! hard it must go with me if thy charm be gone! Here have I been unconsciously toiling, not pleasuring-- aye, and ignorantly smoking to windward all the while; to windward, and with such nervous whiffs, as if, like the dying whale, my final jets were the strongest and fullest of trouble. What business have I with this pipe? This thing is meant for sereneness, to send mild white vapors among mild white hairs, not among torn iron-grey locks like mine. I'll smoke no more--'
"He tossed the still lighted pipe into the sea. The fire hissed in the waves; the same instant the ship shot by the bubble the sinking pipe made. With slouched hat, Ahab lurchingly paced the planks." Moby Dick, Chapter 30, The Pipe.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Many here reading serious and challenging work. Awesome! Reading is worthwhile when it makes your head hurt.
The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake.

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

Abhidharmakosa-bhasya by Vasubandhu.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
The Will Robie series are great. I've listened to them all as audiobooks.
As far as "reading" goes, I'm currently on Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. I think its the 13th book in the Dresden Files series. Easy reading.

dlcorn

Lurker
Oct 24, 2017
In the Halloween spirit I'm reading The haunter of the ring & other tales by Robert E Howard. It's the guy who wrote the original Conan the Barbarian. He writes in the style of H.P. Lovecraft. Not as good, but definitely a good collection of eerie stories.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
While only halfway through the last book I posted, I am also reading a Lovecraft inspired work. I am reading the Providence graphic novel series by Alan Moore. It was the Cornell & Diehl release of Miskatonic Mixture that I recently bought that got me in the mood for something Lovecraftian.

Status
Not open for further replies.