PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
"Great Irish Tales of Horror"
I forgot how enjoyable short stories are. One or two in the evening in lue of some stupid television show.
(Not including Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire of course.)

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Sounds like one to pick up Colin.
I've been working on War and Peace for a while now, taking breaks here and there to clear my mind of all that late Russian dreck. I'm about halfway to go, and in my edition that means only another 800 or so pages!

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Lately I have been reading alot of these books for a research paper. Very boring stuff.
The Eucharist in the Reformation: Incarnation and Liturgy written by Lee Palmer Wandel

The Lord's Supper Today written by Werner Elert

Eating and Drinking with Jesus: An Ethical and Biblical Inquiry written by Arthur C. Cochrane

The Lord's Supper: Five viewsedited by Gordon T. Smith

Ancient-Future Worship: Proclaiming and Enacting God's Narrative written by Robert E. Webber

The Bablyonian Captivity of the Church written by Martin Luther

Institutes of the Christian Religion (for reformation views) written by John Calvin

The Baptist Heritage written by H. Leon McBeth

Eucharistic Origins written by Paul Bradshaw
As well as the writings of these early church fathers on the Eucharist.
Ignatius of Antioch

the Didache

Justin Martyr

Augustine

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I just started the third book of The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo trilogy. It seems like all they do in Sweden is drink coffee, smoke cigarettes and have sex...when they're not busy killing each other that is.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
The Coke Machine: an insiders story and history of Coke and their shakey ways of doing things...it says you'll never drink another one after you finish the book. 8O

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I am currently rereading Sun Tzu's "The Art of War".
@Thomc80: I agree with you 100% on Lovecraft short stories. I have dozens of paperback collections of his short stories and novels and they never ever ever get old. He was a master at creating fantasy worlds. Not many guys can make up a completely otherworldly setting complete with history, language, culture etc. in a 10 page story. And his writing has a way of sucking me right into the world he has created in text to the point of being able to feel the humidity, smell the air, feel the mentality of the culture...etc.

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
Just started a Raymond Chandler collection that begins with "The Big Sleep". If LA were still as Chandler described it, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Still working on that Keruoac, picked up Paradise Lost for a quarter at a booksale at my campus, seems interesting so far.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I've got "The Towers of Midnight" by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson sitting on the shelf behind me, begging to be read. But I'm not reading it until NaNoWriMo is over. It's killing me!
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I thought about this old string last night.... and was going to post to it today.

Way to go!
I've gone deep in several online poker tourneys lately, and led for a couple of hours in each, but haven't been able to seal the deal.

So....

I'm re-reading Harrington on Hold'em Expert Stategy for No-Limit Tournaments

Volume 1: Strategic Play

and

Volume II: The Endgame
Talk about your thrillerzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
The Book of Pipes & Tobacco by Carl Ehwa Jr.
Done with the first half of the book covering the development of the pipe. Just started the second half which covers tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.