PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ Hobie: HA. I love good horror/fantasy. Barker has that ability to create secret and complex worlds that exist right along side our every day life experience. This earlier stuff like the books of blood is a bit more on the horror side and can be rather visceral at times, but the story telling is still fantastic and well written. Since then he has written tomes of fantastic worlds and characters that draw you in, make a friend of you and then send you on your way with heavy thoughts on your mind about what is really going on around you. Has that HP Lovecraft feel to it. Though no one was more of a master at creating worlds than HP Lovecraft. That guy could create a universe complete with inhabitants, landscapes, history, language, religion, ways of life..etc, in a 4 page short story.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have read a lot about Einstein on line and from text books. I have yet to sit down and read a good full length biography on the man. I am fascinated by the man not only for his BRILLIANT physics, but also for his character. He had a good outlook on things and I would like to read more about him as a man and a scientist. Problem I have is that there are so many friggin' books written about that guy that I don't know which to choose. Anyone out there have a good Einstein Biography suggestion?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Anyone out there have a good Einstein Biography suggestion?
The Private Albert Einstein by Peter A. Bucky.

The Bucky family was one of Einsteins most cherished relationships, and Peter often drove Albert around through the years as the designated driver on their many shared vacations. Peters Dad collaborated on camera's, x-ray equipment, etc. with Albert.
Now the Life and Times I'm reading now is just as detailed and reveals a little more, and is a much bigger book physically. I would likely recommend this one over the Bucky version. I got both at the local Library, and there are 4 more waiting for me to check out. :)
You would never think of him as a ladies man, but he apparently had quite a few affairs over the years. Big brain=big sex drive.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
On the way to Denmark, I read The Witch of Portobello and on the way back, I read A Reliable Wife.
the_witch.jpg

9781565129771.jpg

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
Kevin, how was the witch of portabello? I saw it in the bookstore but then didn't end up grabbing it.

I just finished "casting off", a great read if you like irish culture, and am now reading "pride and prejudice and zombies". Not so into the world messing up my favorite classic! Jane Austen would be turning in her grave!! ~ sorry for the pun ;D

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Just finished Lewis Grizzard, " Chili Dawgs Always Bark at Night"....an attempt at Southern Humor, I won't be reading any of his other books.

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
"Best and The Brightest" by David Halberstram. A detailed history of how the US became entangled in Vietnam. A cautionary tale. You can make your own parallels to the latest Iraq war.
"The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789" by Robert Middlekauf. A pretty thorough history of the whys and hows of the American Revolution and all that lead up to it.
Interesting to note how some of the mistakes made by the British government regarding America in the 18th century were repeated by the US government regarding Vietnam in the 20th century.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
In the last couple months, I decided that I'd finally give Sci-Fi a try.
I couldn't be happier that I went beyond the regular fiction shelves because now I've read some Robert A. Heinlein, Frederik Pohl, and Frank Herbert.
I just finished the first Dune novel and am floored by how ahead of its time it was.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Dudley, may I suggest Larry Niven. His Ringworld trilogy is awesome. I am about to start up the Foundation series by Asimov.

Status
Not open for further replies.