PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Continuing my Pat Conroy re-read, with "The Death of Santini". Not reading these in any particular order.

Death-of-Santini.jpg

Reactions: edger

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Billy Boyle: A World War ll novel by James R. Benn. Just started it. My Dad was stationed in London during the war so the descriptions are interesting.

Reactions: krizzose

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Well, yes, what they do to the kids is deeply disturbing. Horror, for sure. I also have a kid, but so far, managed to keep it separated. There's just some kind of distance in the book for me that keeps it from coming home.

I guess I was looking for something that might make me think twice about sleeping with my widow open. This isn't doing it. I rarely read horror though, so I missed the mark on what I felt like getting, which was looking over my shoulder at shadows in the night and nearly pissing my pants.
Have you read any Neil Gaiman? I finished “Trigger Warning” by him a few weeks ago & there’s a few stories in there that freaked me out. “Smoke & Mirrors” & “Fragile Things” are both good too.

mark777

Lurker
Oct 14, 2022
"The Collected Poems of Robert Bly," working on all 500 and some pages of work. Bly died in November 2021 in his nineties after a long and illustrious career in poetry and writing about mens' issues. My interactions with him, I'd give mixed reviews, but I've always been interested in his work, the poetry more than the "Iron John" epoch. There is a great emphasis in his work of a kind of floating consciousness, dropping the reader as he called it, like you'd drop a fledgling bird to get it to fly. There's gold in there, but you have to march through a lot of beautiful but seemingly arbitrary images. The loose context makes memorable lines infrequent for me. But here's one I really liked, one of the few I underlined: "...more full of joy than a wagonload of hay." During my last duty station in the Navy, I was living in a ravaged welfare hotel, saving money for out-of-state tuition, and I sent Bly some poems that included some humor, and being a rather serious old Norwegian, he scrawled on the rejection slip, "You are a wiseass." Thanks Bob, my fellow Navy veteran. My favorite book of his was his Vietnam War, "Teeth Mother Naked At Last." Ironically. Robert was one of those whose poems and poetry can be broken down into quotations. In his poetry, he praised the problems of the present through the past. Sometimes I see myself in his depiction of poems www.phdresearchproposal.org/ i.e. your personal. His defeats, problems, successes and victories. That's all Bly talks about.
"Teeth Mother Naked At Last." is my favorite book after George Orwell's dystopian novel 1984. But Bli is definitely a favorite in his niche

Status
Not open for further replies.