PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zazajoj

Lurker
Feb 26, 2022
I’m a big fan of books and I always choose them well, so I read about a murder in London and shared this book with my friends and then they came across a themed party with the theme murder mystery dinner London I was very surprised because after reading this book it became my favorite and this the company provides the actors with a script and the game lasts for three hours, I think it’s the reader’s dream to make my book come true

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I ordered this book after seeing your post. I'm a fan of Chandler, Hammett and Spillane. Does Buchan fit in that genre? Other than Erskine Childers and Conan Doyle I'm not familiar with British mystery authors.
Anyway, I need a traveling book to take on several long flights next month.
I should have said " British and Scotch authors", my apologies to the Scots!

G

Gimlet

Scots are British. We're Scottish, English, Welsh and northern Irish individually but British collectively. :) :sher:

I'd say Buchan's style was more the adventure/espionage mystery story than whodunnit detection. Sort of an early Ian Flemming. Very much period fiction now but still a very fine read.

Reactions: edger

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Scots are British. We're Scottish, English, Welsh and northern Irish individually but British collectively. :) :sher:

I'd say Buchan's style was more the adventure/espionage mystery story than whodunnit detection. Sort of an early Ian Flemming. Very much period fiction now but still a very fine read.
Thank you, sir. I'm sure I will be an enjoyable read.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I ordered this book after seeing your post. I'm a fan of Chandler, Hammett and Spillane. Does Buchan fit in that genre?th Other than Erskine Childers and Conan Doyle I'm not familiar with British mystery authors.

I ordered this book after seeing your post. I'm a fan of Chandler, Hammett and Spillane. Does Buchan fit in that genre? Other than Erskine Childers and Conan Doyle I'm not familiar with British mystery authors.
The 39 steps was Buchans first attempt at a 'dime novel' so yes, it would fit in that genre. It's only a short read through, so if you've got several long flights ahead of you then more books will be required. Len Deighton, Frederick Forsyth, John Lee Carre & Graham Greene are some of the other best regarded British authors with a penchant for a good spy/mystery novel.

Reactions: carlomarx

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Vanity Fair - The best stories, articles, humor, photographs, art from America's most memorable magazine, edited by Cleveland Amory and Frederic Bradlee. Incidentally, Mr. Bradlee was the nephew of Frank Crowninshield, the original Editor of Vanity Fair.

G

Gimlet

1703268628620.png
My favourite is The Clock by W F Harvey. A brilliantly skillful piece of story telling that conjours mounting menace in broad daylight out of nothing without any cliched horror story props.

Status
Not open for further replies.