PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hasser

Lurker
Jul 28, 2023
View attachment 278879
"In this revelatory work, Barbara W. Tuchman examines not only the great rhythms of history but the grain and texture of domestic life: what childhood was like; what marriage meant; how money, taxes, and war dominated the lives of serf, noble, and clergy alike." As an avid reader and occasional self-publisher, I find using mockups https://pixelbuddha.net/search?text=mockup/ for digital book covers incredibly useful. They offer a glimpse into how the book will be perceived in the digital storefronts. It's fascinating to see my cover designs come to life in a 3D format, giving me a better sense of scale and context. Plus, it's a great marketing tool; a well-designed mockup can create a professional appearance that instills trust in potential readers. For me, mockups are a crucial step in the design process that helps bridge the gap between concept and final product.

Fascinating stuff.
cool book. I read nowadays "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern

Reactions: RonB and dunnyboy

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am reading a murder mystery, "Murder in the Air'. This book is set in England during the very early 1920's. It was written by Emily Organ. It features 40-ish Augusta Peel as the amateur sleuth who helps solve the case. This the second book in the five mysteries featuring Augusta Peel.

Murder in the Air by Emily Organ kindle version

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
A (generally) gently and affectionately satirical look at love, ecclesiastical affairs and controversies in the Established Church in England in the 1850s.

I suppose the scheming Low Church chaplain Obadiah Slope (one of a long line of English literary villains cut of a similar bolt of cloth — Uriah Heep is another, so perhaps is Steerpike of Castle Gormenghast) might offend a very devout Evangelical but it is a charming book if clerical hypocrisy is an acceptable subject.

View attachment 296063
Your post reminded me of how much I enjoyed Barchester Towers, the only Trollope novel I had read. Yesterday, I read its prequel, The Warden, taking a break from reading Tom Jones. While it was worth the read, I found Barchester much more enjoyable.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
Your post reminded me of how much I enjoyed Barchester Towers, the only Trollope novel I had read. Yesterday, I read its prequel, The Warden, taking a break from reading Tom Jones. While it was worth the read, I found Barchester much more enjoyable.
Doctor Thorne in that series is also very good. The Last Chronicle of Barset is a masterpiece.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
My wife knows how to spoil me. Going to open this bad boy tonight.

View attachment 296999
Just opened this thread and thought what a coincidence. I just retrieved some of my books this past Sunday, and The Silmarillion was one of them. I read the paperback in 2005/06; I remember thinking that it felt like I was reading the Bible, Genesis, and it was kind of rough getting started... but then it sucked me in. I eventually picked up the hard cover with some amazing illustrations by Ted Nasmith. It has a big fold out map in the back. I haven't cracked opened Unfinished Tales yet, gonna fall asleep to this one tonight. KIMG3111.JPGKIMG3112.JPGKIMG3113.JPGKIMG3115.JPGKIMG3120.JPG

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
Having finished Simon Raven's Alms for Oblivion series (admittedly interspersed with other things) and feeling utterly bereft without them, I've moved on to one of his highly amusing memoirs, this one ostensibly focussing on cricket.View attachment 297837
That WWII series looks very interesting. I just purchased the first volume. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: jaingorenard

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I’m re-reading Goddard’s Found Wanting. Also re-reading Waltari’s The Egyptian. Goddard is one of my favorites. The Egyptian is historical fiction about an ancient Egyptian doctor. The most popular novel of 1949 haha.

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Of course, he's probably best known for Empire of the Summer Moon, which was also excellent. But his other books are probably as good.
I've read that one too. It
provides helpful context when read alongside Iain Gately's history of tobacco in my opinion.

Reactions: RonB
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I just started reading this wonderfully comprehensive examination of Sherlock Holmes that starts with Conan Doyle's idea and goes through all the various incarnations in media up to his recent appearance as Sherlock. Everyone who enjoys the books, radio, movie, TV, and other versions of the character, in short, every Sherlockian, should get a copy.

View attachment 295893
Gentlemen, hear me out:

Nintendo started out as a playing card company that pre-dates both the Dracula novel and Sherlock Holmes series. Therefore, it would be historically accurate to write a book in which Holmes and Dracula reach for the last deck of Nintendo cards, thereby starting a bitter feud.