PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

occidentalist

Lurker
Sep 17, 2024
Rereading The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfus (fantasy). Currently on book two, Wise Man's Fear. Hoping he finishes the 3rd book soon to wrap up the trilogy. Been waiting 8+ years...

Not sure what to move on to next. For some reason, nonfiction has felt extremely ponderous the past 2 months. Might have to do with information overload with what's been going on in the world lately. During this same time, nonfiction has been light, effortless, and very enjoyable so I'm gonna ride that wave for a bit. Will probably move on to Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series. 20-novel series of nautical fiction (the book that the Russell Crowe movie Master and Commander was based on is part of this series).

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Rereading The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfus (fantasy). Currently on book two, Wise Man's Fear. Hoping he finishes the 3rd book soon to wrap up the trilogy. Been waiting 8+ years...

Not sure what to move on to next. For some reason, nonfiction has felt extremely ponderous the past 2 months. Might have to do with information overload with what's been going on in the world lately. During this same time, nonfiction has been light, effortless, and very enjoyable so I'm gonna ride that wave for a bit. Will probably move on to Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series. 20-novel series of nautical fiction (the book that the Russell Crowe movie Master and Commander was based on is part of this series).
Read a few of them through our library and both wife and I enjoyed them. Haven't accessed them all though...

Reactions: occidentalist

MartyA

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
"The Whisper and the Vision," by Donald Fernie, 1976. An entertaining, well written book about the voyages of astronomers of the 18th and 19th centuries to make observations.

Attachments

• The Whisper and the Vision  (2).jpg
    The Whisper and the Vision (2).jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: RonB and JOHN72

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org

I have been in a book club meeting once a month as we read through the Aubriad. Book 5, Desolation Island, up at the end of this month. Very enjoyable, even if 95% of the sailing details are way beyond my comprehension. The audiobook version read by Patrick Tull is superb - and he did all 20 volumes.

JoburgB2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2024
Dundee, Scotland
Yes, I think Simenon considered “the snow is dirty “ and a number of other novels as his “serious” work
Let’s add it to the ever growing list of books to read when I get around to it. I have a few books partially started, collecting a thin layer of dust, with idle bookmarks lying undisturbed within lonely pages. My reading time these days seems diverted to Pipesmagazine forums, Andrew Benson’s F1 and Tom English’s sports columns, and Viz. Based on the many literary heavyweight titles being posted in this thread, one could develop an inferiority complex, but it is pleasing to see and good company to keep! Nice to be a in a well-read group!

Reactions: RonB

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I have Hornet's Nest at my bedside and I sometimes read a few pages at bedtime. It's by Jimmy Carter and it's his only novel. I wanted to see how he did with fiction. (not really impressed, but, it is somewhat of a history refresher) The story is dealing with the Civil War. There are insights to be gleaned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: makhorkasmoker