PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Ralph Stanley is one of the icons of pure old time hillbilly music, and his vocals in Brother Where Art Thou made him known to a much wider audience.

But Dr Ralph had a brother named Carter who drank himself to death in the sixties.

Fortune and fame are fleeting things, but here was Carter Stanley when the bloom was on his roses.

Bill Monroe invented bluegrass about 1946.

Old time music was old time even then.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
One morning about fifteen years ago my Baptist friend David called me and said there’s a Martin HD 28 for sale for $500 on the University web pages and how can I tell if it’s a real one?

I replied David, the only $500 Martin HD 28s were made last year in China, not Nazerth.

It has to be fake, I said.

That evening he called me out to go play for our mothers in the nursing home, and there was a by God genuine Martin HD-28 with a credit card receipt with the serial number from a St Louis music shop in 2005.

The seller needed cash and all the pawn shops would offer was $500.

A few years later David fell in love with a maiden Mennonite girl in her forties and he joined the Mennonite church. They can’t have guitars so he gave the Martin to me.

A real Martin really isn’t much better than my 1992 Fender SX1500 or my Guild guitars.

But oh what I would give to have my friend David play his Martin one more time, while I did the vocals on Jimmy Brown the Newsboy.

Reactions: dino

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I love Jean Shepard who was big in the 50's and 60's. She was married to Hawkshaw Hawkins, Hawkins was killed less then 3 years later in the plane crash that also claimed the lives of Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas and the pilot. She was a member of the Grand Old Opry for sixty years.

5/5

"Monday's promise is Tuesday's lie
Saturday's party is Sunday's fight
Somethin's wrong with you and I
Love's gone wrong that used to be right
And I can feel it slippin' away

Slowly, slowly slippin' away
It'll be gone in a few more days
If we don't stop this love of ours
From slippin' away"

thumbnail image 1 of Jean Shepard - Slippin' Away - Music & Performance - CD, 1 of 1