PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
Looks like a great site with a ton of variety. I do have a SW Radio stored in my basement somewhere. Might resurrect it and give it a dial. Never was a radio guy, but never was afraid to experiment, either.
It's reminiscent of an old school radio broadcast, which I used to avoid like the plague...LOL I've been listening on the desktop PC and phone.

Reactions: Speak Easy

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
Looks like a great site with a ton of variety. I do have a SW Radio stored in my basement somewhere. Might resurrect it and give it a dial. Never was a radio guy, but never was afraid to experiment, either.
I guess some would call me a radio fanatic as they are all over the house.

We have several battery powered and one hand crank powered for emergencies.

In the bedroom is a Cambridge Sound Works AM/FM/SW with a CD player.

x589R730B-f_MT.jpeg

In the kitchen is a Yamaha Micro Stereo with AM/FM and CD player.

yamaha-mcr-n470-stereo-hi-fi-system.jpg

And there is a small collection of German table radios from the 1950s and 60s that are on display. We have 15 and would have more but they do take up a lot of space.

They're retired and haven't been turned on in years. I like the large ones with the "horse teeth" selector buttons. They represent a last gasp effort to keep the radio as the main source of entertainment in the home.... And we all know how that worked out. The one below is a Saba and is identical to the one JFK had in the oval office. He listened to the news on it during the Cuban crisis. (I have one identical to it).

VanHouten_SABA_Freudenstadt_100_(1959).jpg

Even if you don't care for radio, it would be wise to keep one in case of emergencies.

Imagge2.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last night I enjoyed some amazing music by Roland Kirk (thanks again Keith). Blind from the age of 2 this multi instrumentalist really needs to be heard, he can play 2 saxophones at the same time and has even made music with a piece of garden hose :oops:

Also, listening to his beautiful flute playing I now see where Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull learned his technique.

roland kirk.jpg

Right now I'm listening to the Moody Blues live at the Albert Hall in 2000.

mb 1.jpg

mb2.jpg

Jay.

gord

Part of the Furniture Now
I guess some would call me a radio fanatic as they are all over the house.

We have several battery powered and one hand crank powered for emergencies.

In the bedroom is a Cambridge Sound Works AM/FM/SW with a CD player.

View attachment 344940

In the kitchen is a Yamaha Micro Stereo with AM/FM and CD player.

View attachment 344941

And there is a small collection of German table radios from the 1950s and 60s that are on display. We have 15 and would have more but they do take up a lot of space.

They're retired and haven't been turned on in years. I like the large ones with the "horse teeth" selector buttons. They represent a last gasp effort to keep the radio as the main source of entertainment in the home.... And we all know how that worked out. The one below is a Saba and is identical to the one JFK had in the oval office. He listened to the news on it during the Cuban crisis. (I have one identical to it).

View attachment 344942

Even if you don't care for radio, it would be wise to keep one in case of emergencies.

View attachment 344943
Love that old push button Houton (?) job. I have a friend who collects and repairs old radios and tv's . . . he's given me a couple of castoffs and I do have a crank job as well. :)