PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
One of my favorite SiriusXM channels is Siriusly Sinatra. Recently I heard a program in which his rendition of the 1944 John Blackburn (lyrics) and Karl Suessdorf (music) song Moonlight in Vermont was discussed. One of the hosts made the point that its lyrics do not rhyme, something that I had never before realized although I have heard it many times. Moreover, the Wikipedia citation for this song notes that each verse (excluding the bridge) is actually a haiku.

This song paints a beautiful, peaceful picture; a tone-poem with words, if you will...

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am listening to the incomparable pairing of J.D. Crowe, Doyle Lawson, and Paul Williams on their old CD "Old Friends".

5/5

This studio recording features three of the best bluegrass musicians to have ever lived. Crowe is world renowned banjo player, Lawson in true genius when it comes to recording old songs for bluegrass, and Williams is a marvelous mandolin player and singer.

"While we are living in this world of care
Many the burdens that we have to bear
But there's a prayer bell at the Lord's right hand
Give it a ring and He will understand

Prayer bells of Heaven, oh, how sweetly they ring (keep ringing)
Bearing the message until Jesus, our King (of glory)
When you are burdened down with trouble and care (my brother)
Ring on and on for God will answer your prayer"

R.2e53dedf0be6618192cf1ad714dc2186

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It continues to amaze me how good Roy Acuff after all these years. @Speak Easy has done us real favor by reminding us. I still sing the verses of "Wabash Cannonball" around the house. The greatest train song ever written. I can still remember watching the Game of the Week in the 50's and listening to Dizzy Dean singing it while the game was going on.