PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
First Yes album I bought. Those versions of their classic songs are still my favorites.
One of my favorite reasons I love Yes is the fact that every band member is a virtuosos performer with their instruments. Another thing I really liked was when I went to to a Yes concert they were able to produce the same sound as their albums and when they did go off with some riffs, they were in the context of the song.
They never just went on improvising like the Grateful Dead. One of my old college buddies made me go to a Dead concert at the Music Hall in
Boston and for me it sucked. Garcia was no Steve Howe or Jeff Beck or Page or Gilmour that is for sure.

After the show was over I told my buddy don't ever subject me to such pathetic musicians. I know music as I was a child prodigy when I was 12. I was the best drummer in a town right next to Boston with around 60k people. As much as I practiced I could never get all of John Bonhams double base foot or many of his riffs.. Alan Whites (yes drummer)ability to change times and keep things perfect for the rest of the band was very impressive. I looked for sheet music for yes but never found any.

I forgot to tell you Johnbarleycorn that I saw Traffic in 1975 at the Boston Garden. It was July and it may have been the hottest show I was ever at. The band was great, Steve Winwood was great. I love Traffic.