PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Do podcasts count? Because its been dan carlin’s hardcore history
Awesome stuff. I thought his short series on the Cold War was lacking but all of the others are exceptional.

A Blueprint For Armageddon, (WW I), is my favorite. No way to listen to that and not be stunned at the level of callous carnage.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Awesome stuff. I thought his short series on the Cold War was lacking but all of the others are exceptional.

A Blueprint For Armageddon, (WW I), is my favorite. No way to listen to that and not be stunned at the level of callous carnage.
Im actually disinterested in any of his or anyone elses takes in modenr history because i can gather that knowledge myself, but i love when he goes ancient. I just cant stomach the closeness of the world wars history as entertainment. Loved his bits on the mongols, the persians, and the romans tho

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Im actually disinterested in any of his or anyone elses takes in modenr history because i can gather that knowledge myself, but i love when he goes ancient. I just cant stomach the closeness of the world wars history as entertainment. Loved his bits on the mongols, the persians, and the romans tho
Yeah, it’d be a stretch to call the WW1 history entertainment. It bothers me that something so horrifying is largely consigned to a footnote in most people’s minds today.

I enjoy the ancient history as well but it suffers from the curse of being ancient and not often well documented by multiple independent sources. It’s also near impossible to put our modern minds into their shoes and really understand things. Carlin does a great job of trying.

Reactions: OlJawBone

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
WOACover.jpg
Now playing Wings - Wings Over America.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Yeah, it’d be a stretch to call the WW1 history entertainment. It bothers me that something so horrifying is largely consigned to a footnote in most people’s minds today.

I enjoy the ancient history as well but it suffers from the curse of being ancient and not often well documented by multiple independent sources. It’s also near impossible to put our modern minds into their shoes and really understand things. Carlin does a great job of trying.
His effort on that front is my favorite part for sure. He satisfies my skepticism but still keeps me entertained with history