PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am listening to the Johnson Mountain Boy CD "At the Old Schoolhouse". This 1988 recording offers us a could sampling of the hard driving kind of blue grass that featured the hard driving kind of bluegrass that traditionalists had been yearning for a long time. This group, with various people being in the band lasted from 1975 to 1996. This album featured the wonder "Let the World Talk About You" and a very poignant "Dream of a Miner's Child".

4/5

R.9644936258010c9f74ee3221b2aa8df5

Reactions: STP and Speak Easy

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
LOL! Forgot this was in my phone collection. Way way back, after a bad breakup this was an anthem! If you’ve never heard it, listen twice because it’s about the funniest breakup song ever recorded!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Just every so often I get an overpowering urge for the great Bill Monroe. Performed on stage at the Grand Ole Opry for over 50 years. He written songs than most of you can imagine. "The Father of Bluegrass Music". This album contains many stellar musicians like Kenny Baker, Bill Keith, Joe Stuart, Jimmy Martin, Del McCoury, Stringbean, Joe Stuart, Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs, Mac Wiseman, etc. The list I looked at listed over 70 musicians who played with him. And, of course, he played the finest bluegrass mandolin you ever heard in 30's through 70's. He played into the 90's.

This is the first verse of "I Wonder Where You Are Tonight".

"Tonight I'm sad, my heart is weary,
Wond'ring if I'm wrong or right,
To think about you, though you left me,
I wonder where you are tonight."

Bill Monroe - Blue Grass Time album cover