Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Wild-Turkey-Composite-scaled.jpg

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
What makes this cigar “blend”? I assume it’s bold enough to stand up to a cigar, maybe a tad higher in proof? How do you rate it? Would you buy it again given all the other stuff you have in your collection?
Sorry for the late reply. Joesph A. Magnus Cigar Blend is a blend of 10-12 year and 16-18 year old bourbons that are finished in Armagnac, Cognac, and Sherry casks. My particular batch is #115 and comes in at 57.85 abv. It’s fantastic! Rich notes of tobacco, leather, toffee, vanilla and dark fruits on the nose translate exactly the same on the palate. Long and lingering finish gives more of the same amazing notes. It’s unique to anything else I’ve ever had and easily in my top 5 whiskey’s.
It‘s an extremely rare bottle to run across in the wild, and has never shown up in my area until a couple of months ago. I pounced immediately upon hearing a case had arrived at my favorite store, and will again if it ever finds it‘s way back around.

If I had to choose a bottle to compare it to and one that is somewhat available, it would be the Bardstown Bourbon Company Discovery series. Not exactly the same but shares some similarities in the finishing that remind me of the Cigar Blend. Hope this helps.

Cheers!