Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It’s been a wee while between drinks.
Caught up with my wine group for a midweek dinner and a drink or ten 😁
View attachment 322384View attachment 322385View attachment 322388
View attachment 322393
View attachment 322390
View attachment 322391

There were a couple of other bottles I somehow missed - put it down to the alcoholic fug 😁

How many people are typically attending your wine group? I’m always amazed at the number of bottles you go through at these gatherings—it seems like a lot for a single session, although I know from beer bottle shares, going through twenty or thirty beers is easy and I’ve tasted over sixty beers at beer festivals, albeit small pours.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
How many people are typically attending your wine group? I’m always amazed at the number of bottles you go through at these gatherings—it seems like a lot for a single session, although I know from beer bottle shares, going through twenty or thirty beers is easy and I’ve tasted over sixty beers at beer festivals, albeit small pours.
Typically 10 Participants to keep the groups manageable.
I have to emphasise that these are “tasting” sessions and wines are served in small amounts to be sipped. With meals.
It seems a waste, but wines that are any less than very good to excellent are spat out.

There is usually no theme to the night.
Everyone brings what they consider ”of interest” to the group.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
When we started the group many years ago, the rule was to bring a bottle each.
Somehow over the years members started bringing multiple bottles on the pretext that “this is an old and possibly decrepit/moribund bottle, so I brought a reserve or 3” 😏
I suspect that most of the members have large cellars and they have realised that they are not going to drink through their cellars before the Grim Reaper comes a-knocking 😁

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
When we started the group many years ago, the rule was to bring a bottle each.
Somehow over the years members started bringing multiple bottles on the pretext that “this is an old and possibly decrepit/moribund bottle, so I brought a reserve or 3” 😏
I suspect that most of the members have large cellars and they have realised that they are not going to drink through their cellars before the Grim Reaper comes a-knocking 😁

With many of your posts, the shares seemed like the kinds of wines that no one would want to waste a drop. I was unaware that typical wine tasting practices were in effect. At beer shares, unlike traditional wine tastings, the poured contents are usually completely consumed (also small pours and size of pour dependent on how many participants are in the group).

Your reply made think of comedian David Steinberg’s classic routine about taking an exam when you are so clueless, you don’t even understand the question:

(As if reading the test question: ) “Refute the allegation that the literature of the Middle Ages was moribund.”

(As if writing: ) ”Some believe that the literature of the middle ages was moribund. Some believe that the literature of the middle ages was not moribund. I believe that the literature of the middle ages was not moribund. In order to refute the allegation that the literature of the middle ages was moribund, one would need to have a detailed knowledge of the literature and history of that period . . .”

(Whispering to self) ”. . . which I wish to God I had.”

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
Popped the cork on a bottle of 2020 Le Volte Dell Ornellaia. This is a 3rd wine from one of Italy's great vintners and is my preference over the others due to the fact that it's not made for long term aging like many of their other products. It pairs excellent with steak and so it's rib eye and Le Volte tonight, followed by this bowl of St. Bernard in the Chacom. Cheers! :)

le volte 2020.JPG