What Are You Drinking? January 2023

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

My wife wanted one of these so I mixed one for myself as well. Bombay Bramble gin and tonic. Pretty good.

View attachment 194662
Try a Brambletini. Amazing! 3oz Bramble gin, 1/2 limes worth of juice and 1-1.5 oz simple syrup. For an extra treat make a Pomabrambletini by adding 1-1.5 oz POMagranate juice. Garnish with lime slice. - you can also use lemon for the citrus but I prefer lime. - it's more of a gimlet recipe but the tini suffix just sounds better

Last edited:

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
A very hot 29c outside however I couldn't resist having a wee Chivas with a pipe.

20230116-212242.jpg

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I saw this at the liquor store, and as a fan of flavored whiskies, it was priced low enough that I had to give it a try. The lady at the liquor store who had tried it was not a fan, but she did suggest that it might be good in a Bloody Mary.

I poured some for my wife and she tried it first. Her review follows:

"It's fucking horrible."

I then poured what was left of hers into my glass and gave it a try. It wasn't as sour as I was expecting, but it does have a definite aroma and taste of dill pickle. The spice level is pretty robust, which is a good thing for me because I love spicy, but it would be too much for some. The initial taste was somewhat shocking because of it's uniqueness, but I found that I appreciated it more with each sip. Not something that I would drink every day, but I enjoyed it enough to have again. It would be excellent mixed with tomato juice like a Bloody Mary.

7257407F-A981-4B03-98D0-372EB97E21C5.jpeg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I saw this at the liquor store, and as a fan of flavored whiskies, it was priced low enough that I had to give it a try. The lady at the liquor store who had tried it was not a fan, but she did suggest that it might be good in a Bloody Mary.

"It's fucking horrible."

I then poured what was left of hers into my glass and gave it a try. It wasn't as sour as I was expecting, but it does have a definite aroma and taste of dill pickle. The spice level is pretty robust, which is a good thing for me because I love spicy, but it would be too much for some. The initial taste was somewhat shocking because of it's uniqueness, but I found that I appreciated it more with each sip. Not something that I would drink every day, but I enjoyed it enough to have again. It would be excellent mixed with tomato juice like a Bloody Mary.

View attachment 195819
This has got to be a take on the Pickle Back trend. It's a shot of whiskey (sometimes tequila) with a pickle juice chaser. The vinegar is supposed to neutralize the whiskey flavor and alcohol burn. It also is supposed to help with hangovers.

The concept is/was big amongst kitchen staff for after hours drinks (on weekends, it's difficult to get out of the kitchen before midnight and restaurant/bar staff are notorious for after bar closing parties).

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX

"It's fucking horrible."

View attachment 195819
Sounds good to me, I'll have to try that one. I had a coworker suggest pickle juice and Fireball, a 1:1 ratio. I had the Fireball at home but only had Vlasic Bold & Spicy w/Tobasco sauce on hand. So, I gave it a whirl and really liked it. There's a pickle beer that I like also. Screenshot_20230119-210403~2.png

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
This has got to be a take on the Pickle Back trend. It's a shot of whiskey (sometimes tequila) with a pickle juice chaser. The vinegar is supposed to neutralize the whiskey flavor and alcohol burn. It also is supposed to help with hangovers.

The concept is/was big amongst kitchen staff for after hours drinks (on weekends, it's difficult to get out of the kitchen before midnight and restaurant/bar staff are notorious for after bar closing parties).

You are correct, sir. Apparently this whiskey tastes just like a Pickle Back. I've never tried a Pickle Back, so I can't confirm, but the pickle flavor is there for sure.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Sounds good to me, I'll have to try that one. I had a coworker suggest pickle juice and Fireball, a 1:1 ratio. I had the Fireball at home but only had Vlasic Bold & Spicy w/Tobasco sauce on hand. So, I gave it a whirl and really liked it. There's a pickle beer that I like also. View attachment 195825
I'd definitely try that pickle Gose. I enjoy a good sour beer.

I think you would really like the Whicked Pickle if you liked the Fireball and spicy pickle juice combo.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Sounds good to me, I'll have to try that one. I had a coworker suggest pickle juice and Fireball, a 1:1 ratio. I had the Fireball at home but only had Vlasic Bold & Spicy w/Tobasco sauce on hand. So, I gave it a whirl and really liked it. There's a pickle beer that I like also. View attachment 195825
My wife hates....and I mean HATES beer. Every beer shes tried that friends have told her "Doesn't taste like beer" still tastes like beer to her. But she LOVES pickles and pickle juice.

Would she like this?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
A very hot 29c outside however I couldn't resist having a wee Chivas with a pipe.

20230116-212242.jpg
Chivas used to be the drink of choice among well to do businessmen in S. Korea. Johnny Walker was well loved also. That was back in 70s when Scots were hogging single malt secret to their bonny bosoms x) Oh how I miss Dewar's White Label, and Cutty Shark. Those were my choices in junior high. Then mid 80s, Glenfiddich became widely available. US$20! That was the proof God existed! Of course, by 90, the price skyrocketed and it became luxury. Then again, Guinness on draught became widely available and I never look back.