PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Something new that I've never seen before and figured I would give it a try. Yuengling Hershey's Chocolate Porter. Smoking a bowl of Nightcap in a Comoy's.

View attachment 54580

@kurtbob Ever heard of this?

It's interesting, still trying to make up my mind on if I would get it again.
Yessir! Truth be told, I watched a YouTube video a few months back that had the sisters that run Yuengling talking about Flight and the colab with Hershey’s on the porter. Might never see it here in Georgia so, I kinda envy you. After a few, let me know what you think......I trust your judgment

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Yessir! Truth be told, I watched a YouTube video a few months back that had the sisters that run Yuengling talking about Flight and the colab with Hershey’s on the porter. Might never see it here in Georgia so, I kinda envy you. After a few, let me know what you think......I trust your judgment

It is just OK IMO. Here is my assessment on it. But it is a little lengthy, and keep in mind that Yuengling is one of my favorite beers.

It does have a chocolate flavor and that flavor tastes exactly like Hershey's Chocolate Syrup in the bottle. It has no traditional Yuengling flavor at all that I could detect.

With stouts, porters, "good beers", etc , I always pour them in a glass and I did that with this and wasn't impressed. It actually tastes better drinking it cold straight from the bottle, which is strange. Most beers "open up" when poured into a glass.

This beer needs to consumed very cold. When it was cold and drank from the bottle, it had a richer, thicker feel to it. When in a glass, it had a lighter mouth feel. And when it got a little warm, it got very light. It tasted to me like someone took a stout and mixed it with water at a 50/50 ratio. It really felt, and tasted, very watered down and light to me once it began warming up.

To not drag this out much further, here is my summation;

I am not upset that I got it, but I will not buy it again. Especially since it runs about $11 for a 6 pack where I live, which is about the same price as Guinness, other much better stouts, porters, micro brews, etc. Hell, I'd rather just drink regular Yuengling at about half the price.

If you stumble upon it, I would suggest grabbing a 6 pack just so you can say that you tried it. Also, your tastes may be different than mine.

If you never come across it, you are not missing much. Just buy some Guiness. Minus the chocolate flavor, it is 1,000% better IMO.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
It is just OK IMO. Here is my assessment on it. But it is a little lengthy, and keep in mind that Yuengling is one of my favorite beers.

It does have a chocolate flavor and that flavor tastes exactly like Hershey's Chocolate Syrup in the bottle. It has no traditional Yuengling flavor at all that I could detect.

With stouts, porters, "good beers", etc , I always pour them in a glass and I did that with this and wasn't impressed. It actually tastes better drinking it cold straight from the bottle, which is strange. Most beers "open up" when poured into a glass.

This beer needs to consumed very cold. When it was cold and drank from the bottle, it had a richer, thicker feel to it. When in a glass, it had a lighter mouth feel. And when it got a little warm, it got very light. It tasted to me like someone took a stout and mixed it with water at a 50/50 ratio. It really felt, and tasted, very watered down and light to me once it began warming up.

I am not upset that I got it, but I will not buy it again. Especially since it runs about $11 for a 6 pack where I live, which is about the same price as Guinness, other much better stouts, porters, micro brews, etc. Hell, I'd rather just drink regular Yuengling at about half the price.

If you stumble upon it, I would suggest grabbing a 6 pack just so you can say that you tried it. Also, your tastes may be different than mine.

If you never come across it, you are not missing much. Just buy some Guiness. Minus the chocolate flavor, it is 1,000% better IMO.
I agree 100%. Great review!

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia

I’m picking up what you’re putting down sir! Like you said, no hint of traditional Yuengling flavor is kinda odd. Well, I guess at least there is still their Black and Tan. The whole thing about it changing and not in a good way when poured in a pint glass is kinda weird also. Good objective review and thanks Bob!

Status
Not open for further replies.