PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

VDL_Piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Light and sweet would be Mac Baren Virginia #1 (no perique though). For Red Virginia, try Sutliff Matured Red 515.
After seeing your recommendations I had to check out Sutliff 515, never popped up in any searches that I’ve done. Reads like a fantastic Virginia with some excellent cellaring prospects so thank you for highlighting this blend and I’ll surely be getting some to try.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
This thread is relevant to my interests, too.

Some of the Virginias and Virginia blends put forward as "sweet" haven't been consistently so to me. Just mildly sweet on occasion. Admittedly, a lot of that could be my technique, easily thrown off when conditions are wrong or my focus isn't there. But I don't seem to have any trouble getting a tangy sweetness from straight red Virginias and VaPers based on red Virginia, so I'm wondering if there's a body chemistry component as well.

I don't have much to recommend yet (would Watch City's VaPers be too spicy/tangy?), but I'm eager to try some of the VaPers listed so far, especially that Sutliff Crumble Kake. I've also been meaning to try their 1849 VaPer.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
OGS and the Former VaPer blends are the first I think of.
Orlik Golden Sliced is popular for a reason, it's really good but I'm surprised that Formers does not appear to be as well-known and liked.
My one tin of Formers Birds Eye Flake was superb.
What a shame that it's only sold in 50g tins.

Reactions: PipeIT and NomadOrb

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Orlik Golden Sliced is popular for a reason, it's really good but I'm surprised that Formers does not appear to be as well-known and liked.
My one tin of Formers Birds Eye Flake was superb.
What a shame that it's only sold in 50g tins.
Former is much harder to find than OGS. It's usually out of stock, but I agree, fantastic tobacco.

Reactions: PipeIT and chopper

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
My recommendation is G.L. Please Stonehenge Flake; it's got a light chocolate topping which gives it sweetness and the perique is on the stone fruit side with little to no spice to speak of. I've found C&D Kajun Kake with a year or two out of the tin gets sweet and fruity, when young and straight from the tin it can be heavy with the perique spice.

Reactions: PipeIT

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I'd highly recommend Luxury Bullseye Flake. And would recommend even higher Luxury Bullseye Flake with a few years of age on it.

You may also want to get on the mailing list for Watch City Cigars for when they release the next batch of Rhythm and Blues. That is one of the WCC blends that is sweet but not an aromatic.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
One VaPer that appears to have been overlooked is Aj's Vaper.
When I tried it fresh I did not care for it at all. Way too tangy.

It was jarred and forgotten for a few years until I tried a small bowl. Simply superb.
I later discovered that it's a blend that was designed to be aged. puffy

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Sweet VA blends are a favorite of mine. These are my top of the lists for this style:

- Esoterica Brighton
- Wessexx Gold Virginia Flake (smoking now)
- Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1855