Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggz

Lurker
May 25, 2014
Hey guys, first time poster. I've been reading posts on the forum for about a week and i bought a corn cob legend and a pack of mac baren 7 seas gold blend. I'm enjoying smoking it but i'm really not getting much flavour out of it. Am i doing something wrong or is it just a really mild blend? I've head that 1Q is a great blend for beginners but it's pretty hard to get a hold of in the UK without ordering in bulk. Are there any brands with obvious flavours?

Cheers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome to Forums, tiggz. I'm not sure why bulk is an obstacle. There are many good bulk tobaccos, and you can buy

them for a savings, and store them in canning jars for excellent freshness for a very long time. I like Lane's 1Q, but

prefer Lane's LL-7, for a little more personality. Altadis Dark Obsession and Queen Anne's Revenge are tasty. Sutliff

makes some reasonably priced tinned tobacco, such as Great Outdoors. If you want to go upscale, people generally

like the Frog Morton crossover blends from McClelland. Peterson, Stanwell, Cup O Joes, and Low Country make some

refined aromatics if you want to pay a little more. Actually, the selection on aromatics is vast. You might want to

get a sampler pack, for example from 4noggins.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Welcome to pipe smoking and PM.com. The biggest culprit of not getting much flavor from your tobacco in my experience is smoking too hot. Try sipping lighter, exhaling nasally (snorking), and slowing down the cadence and see if that helps.
I'm not sure what you have access to in the UK but one of my favorite aromatics is Reiner's Professional. Dan's DaVinci and Boswell's Sweet Tea are a couple other good ones I can recommend if you're able to get them.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
If 7 Seas Gold is anything like MacBaren 7 Seas Royal, then I think you're just going down the wrong road.
I had some 7 Seas Royal and was very disappointed by it. Tin note was ok but the smoke was bland. I wouldn't buy it again and won't be checking the others. Too many blends out there to be wasting time (and money) on 3oz tins of disappointment or just mediocrity.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If Lane Limited blends are hard to get in the UK I'd suggest Mac Baren's 7 Seas line, Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice and Sunset Breeze, as well as Blue Note by Dan's Tobacco.

tiggz

Lurker
May 25, 2014
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'll look into them and see if they're available.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
For flavor, hard to beat original 7 Seas (white tin). Might want to try 4Noggins Three Blind Moose and Stokkeye's Nougat.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome, Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream is a delightful smoke. Top quality tobaccos with a cognac topping. Very nice tin and room note as well as delicious.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
IMO, the best advice is to contact Rich at 4noggins
+1
If you like chocolate try Sutliff's Molte Dolce or McClellend's Tastemaster. If you talk to Rich, ask him about Lord Methley and Trout Stream.
Welcome and good smoking!

tiggz

Lurker
May 25, 2014
Thanks again for responses, seems like Sunset Breeze, Molto Dolche and Trout Stream are getting a couple of comments. I'm gonna look them all up. Really looking forward to giving them a go.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'll second the Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice -- very flavorful to me when I first started smoking and I know I smoked too hot/fast back then. I generally don't enjoy aromatics (most of them have a chemical taste to me), but not Connoisseur's Choice.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Are there any brands with obvious flavours?
I would recommend several world-class aromatics from Pipeworks & Wilke, but I'm sure there are house blenders in the UK who make similarly wonderful aromatics. Perhaps one of our British members will recommend a blender.
For commonly available tinned blends, I would recommend C&D Autumn Evening, Savinelli Cavendish, and Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I agree with many of the above options above but there is one that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere in recent memory and it is a very well done aromatic; MacBaren Mixture Modern. This aromatic has the sweetness from a quality topping that many of us crave (and forgive me I'm not good at reviewing) but also has great tobacco sweetness. This is one of MacBaren's best kept secrets in my opinion.

swmalone

Lurker
May 21, 2014
As a new pipe smoker this is a great thread to check out for some options. I have been having the same issue with trying to find a few blends to stick with. I have limited options with what I can obtain semi-locally. I have been fortunate enough that the owner of the store has been providing me with bowl size samples of any of the bulk blends I want to try. I the only issue is that the bulks are limited to Smokers Pride and Peter Stokeybe (sp) aromatics. Any suggestions on what to try from those lines would be appreciated. So far I have tried a smokers pride vanilla cavendish and a stokeybe sweet vanilla. Once I started smoking slower I have noticed a bit more flavor come through in the sweet vanilla.
This is a great forum and thanks to the original poster for asking a question that was on my mind as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.