PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I spent a few weeks on an Island in Thailand with a bunch of people from various places. One was a Scottish guy named William who had a house in France. He’s a restorer of old dwellings. He said something like, “it’s always a rainy day in the minds of the French.”

Oct 7, 2016
Jean Lacroix likely made pipes in several price and quality grades, but I have a Lacroix Cardinal lovat with zero fills and a very nice hand cut (so stamped) bit. Great smoker

Reactions: burleybreath

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Jean Lacroix likely made pipes in several price and quality grades, but I have a Lacroix Cardinal lovat with zero fills and a very nice hand cut (so stamped) bit. Great smoker
I've got four or five Diamants--can't remember exactly. My best smoking pipe ever was a Jean Lacroix. Didn't matter what I smoked in it. As fate would have it, I lost it somewhere in the Adirondacks.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
But when the English started focusing on making high-end stuff in the prewar and postwar decades of the 20th century, there must have been specific French competition? Maybe the French market was just more complicated to understand.
Or the working age male class was decimated post the war to end all wars….

dingdong

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
Jean Lacroix, St Claude, Biarritz 225 , 70s i think or early 80s.
very nice and very light pipe, and good briar since even with smooth and thin walls, smokes pretty cool.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 9.02.08 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 9.02.08 AM.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 9.01.53 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 9.01.53 AM.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 8.58.43 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 8.58.43 AM.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I’ve spent the last year getting into pipe-smoking. Like some people ‘round these parts, I love looking at pipes, especially at estate pipes, and I own a few (but not many). After spending every day studying pipes (for fun), I feel like I know who made great English, American, Italian, and Danish pipes and how to spot them. I must admit, though, that French pipes perplex me. There are these huge brands (and the smaller ones) that made so many pipes over the decades and the last century. Chacom and Butz-Choquin made a bijillion pipes starting in the 1800s. But I really don’t understand what are the quality French pipes, who made them and when. I mean I look at French pipes and can see some are quite nice, but I find it hard to find out about who made what and when and how to know what is what. I wonder if anyone can explain how to understand the history of French pipe making, how to approach this question. In England, you can go back to certain brands at certain times and say they were making the best and date pipes at least to a range. What about France?
French pipe makers never focused on a portion of the market because their specialty was the standardization and mechanization of pipe manufacturing in large quantities. Therefore each brand has sublime pipes and pipes that are embarrassing. You have to learn what characteristics a good pipe has and analyze it without looking at the brand.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Since I can't afford to buy any more, and you asked about French estates, I'll suggest you look at any pre-1940 J.Sommer pipe - especially the meerschaums if you smoke them. The older ones are things of beauty. If you think all amber is generally alike, you'll change your mind when you handle one of theirs. The top left and bottom right ones are both 1880's. I don't have a group shot of mine, so here is a collage, excluding the carved briar Vercingetorix ones:

O0Ec3fk.jpeg