Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
In all fairness I have never understood 'artisan' pipes. I suppose it is a fancy way of saying 'non factory made pipe' and I could see the late George Carling making an entire 15 minute segment out of the word 'artisan' and then explaining that if you spend $800 on one you need your head examined.
This is an artisan pipe. A guy made every process by himself, a pipe at the time

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
In all fairness I have never understood 'artisan' pipes. I suppose it is a fancy way of saying 'non factory made pipe'…

Agreed. I think the difference is the brand on an artisan pipe represents the individual man who made it; the brand on a factory pipe represents the man who established the factory that made your pipe; the actual individual is almost always unknown.

Reactions: Beast and Briar Lee

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Hello all it has been awhile once I’ve posted a question, however I have been lurking. :) Today I’m shopping online for another pipe to add to my slowly growing collection and saw some referred to as ‘false artisan’ a term I am unfamiliar with. Any help on explaining would be great. Thanks guys have a nice weekend.
Never heard of it

Reactions: Beast

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
The term "false artisan" gives me the impression of poor craftsmanship. Like somebody hacked up their pipe making kit or attempted to copy a Peterson and called it Erin Go Bragh.

I'd steer clear, but that's just my .02

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Hello all it has been awhile once I’ve posted a question, however I have been lurking. :) Today I’m shopping online for another pipe to add to my slowly growing collection and saw some referred to as ‘false artisan’ a term I am unfamiliar with. Any help on explaining would be great. Thanks guys have a nice weekend.
Can you provide a link to the website that lists "false artisan" pipes?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
If you want a more prosaic answer the P&C data field probably requires a Boolean value, ie true or false. Peterson is not an Artisan pipemaker, hence the entry is false. If you pull up a Nording pipe on the same site you’ll find that the value for this field will show as “True”.

While this explanation has the virtue of being responsive it’s much less fun than the others on offer in this thread.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If all these "lifers" haven't heard this term, it's made up by someone and simply not any sort of common usage.

Some crafts people and some brands carve the briar but use preformed stems, for example, or use machined stummels but finish them by hand. That should simply be stated and not hid behind a made-up terminology. In some writing situations, that is referred to as weasel-wording and is not respectable. That kind of verbiage would be a red light for me, not to buy from that outfit.

If you want to be "nice," you could tell them that, but I wouldn't bother.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Kingdom Armory Bench Series Rogue Framelock Mid-Tech Satin Stonewash RARE! *301

$2.799 or best offer

View attachment 199681View attachment 199682

8.5'' New 440C Steel Blade All Steel Handle Tactics Pocket Folding Knife VTF59

$31.99 or best offer

View attachment 199683View attachment 199684

Don’t overlook an orchid while searching for a rose.

I'm a bit confused.
Are those clones?

Is this a copy and paste job?
The prices don't make sense and the caption for the Medford is all wrong..

🤯