PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
If anyone reading this reads the WAYS thread much it’s no mystery that my current favorite smoke is C&D’s From Beyond. I’m fairly new to smoking pipes and I would like to find some tobacco that’s similar to it. I’ve got more From Beyond tins in my shopping cart on SP and I’ve used their filter to try and get what I think may be a good comparison. That being said I’d love for some of you with much more refined palettes than mine to give me some more ideas as I’d rather not urinate away money on tobacco that may not be worth a rats behind.
As alway, thanks for your time and advice. Such a great community on this forum.

SE

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
A very good medium English would be Father Dempsey - both bulk & tined.
Another,slightly stronger blend to try would be Wilke Hearth of Galway.
These are a bit different from FB, but have a common thread in that they include Latakia and are very smooth with no harshness.
Loads of other fine English blends - Red Rapparee, Nightcap, 965 and a ton of excellent GLP blends.
Good hunting!

Reactions: Speak Easy

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
A very good medium English would be Father Dempsey - both bulk & tined.
Another,slightly stronger blend to try would be Wilke Hearth of Galway.
These are a bit different from FB, but have a common thread in that they include Latakia and are very smooth with no harshness.
Loads of other fine English blends - Red Rapparee, Nightcap, 965 and a ton of excellent GLP blends.
Good hunting!
Thank you for the recommendations!

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
There are many others to try in this category. Start with those. I have over 20 open I rotate through daily. The main differences I see between them all is the strength of Latakia balanced against either a Virginia base, an oriental base, or a Cavendish / Burley base. So you would sense more spice or more sweetness or more grass flavors against a varying level of Latakia smoke.

Reactions: Speak Easy

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
There are many others to try in this category. Start with those. I have over 20 open I rotate through daily. The main differences I see between them all is the strength of Latakia balanced against either a Virginia base, an oriental base, or a Cavendish / Burley base. So you would sense more spice or more sweetness or more grass flavors against a varying level of Latakia smoke.
I haven’t been able to determine exactly what it is I like so much about it. I believe it’s the “grass” flavor. But my ever developing taste are not sure.