PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
A friend of mine gifted me this pipe. He found it when cleaning us an old house he bought. I guess it's old. The stem is oddly flexible, but can't guess what it's made of. Leather? :O
If someone has any info, guesses or otherwise witty comments (I'm afraid in adwance) they're welcome. :)

Attachments

• 3B135802-1041-4608-8C03-08FA5E6881BC.jpeg
    3B135802-1041-4608-8C03-08FA5E6881BC.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 70
Empty Brain GIFs | Tenor

How does it smoke?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Turn of the century chip meer Austrian lap pipe. Whats the carving? Stem is cloth or leather covered gutta percha rubber. You can replace it with a modern silicone hookah hose or put a traditional spigot stem on it.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
I guess I'm just a bad photographer, or I got something wrong. I'm rather certain that the bowl has been made of wood. I didn't know how to scale the photo, so it shows just partially until you click it open.
However, thanks for the answers. The information about the stem made me happy indeed. I have been so curious about that flexibility...

I didn't clean it out, but my friend did - at least he said so. It would be a juicy prank if he hadn't, though. But I still breathe, so propably he did. It smells and tastes just like an old house, in which nobody has lived for a while...

It made me so curious, because I've never seen a pipe alike, and wondered where it is from and how old.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Good heavens! Maybe it is, then. I need to make it a meerschaum test...
It is hard to tell from the picture, but the vast majority of those were meerschaum. They were however occasionally made of briar, so it is possible. You can do a salt/alcohol treatment to clean it properly and get rid if the funky taste. But I suspect the rubber stem is going to be a bear to clean if it can be cleaned without destroying it. I would have a new one made for it.

Reactions: mithridate

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
It is hard to tell from the picture, but the vast majority of those were meerschaum. They were however occasionally made of briar, so it is possible. You can do a salt/alcohol treatment to clean it properly and get rid if the funky taste. But I suspect the rubber stem is going to be a bear to clean if it can be cleaned without destroying it. I would have a new one made for it.
If it is a meerschaum bowl DO NOT do a salt alcohol treatment on it.... Soaking meerschaum in anything is going to soften and possibly destroy it.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
I contacted a local (at least Finnish) shop. According to their website they insert new stems to pipes, but they quite politely refused to help me. They said something like that they can't get new stems from factories anymore - honestly I didn't quite get it. However, that means I have to give it a try myself or smoke the pipe like it is. Any tips about where to search for a suitable stem?