PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
As some people know, I love the oddball pipes. There is something very compelling about the various ways people tried to make pipe smoking "better". And when I find one of these oddball pipes, well taken care of and lovingly smoked, it makes me feel like I'm part of a long line of oddballs. ?

• Love
Reactions: edger

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As some people know, I love the oddball pipes. There is something very compelling about the various ways people tried to make pipe smoking "better". And when I find one of these oddball pipes, well taken care of and lovingly smoked, it makes me feel like I'm part of a long line of oddballs. ?

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I've seen that before somewhere...but I'm not that much of an oddball! :ROFLMAO:

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Like Osirus said, smoking cigs is kinda bleh! Quick nic hit, but that's it and they stink! Pipe tobacco is far superior to cigs.
Pipe smoking on the other hand, for those who like to be dexterous, we get to fiddle with the pipe and tools, etc. Feeling the pipe in hand is one of the things I really enjoy, whether smooth grain or blasted.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
There’s a lot I enjoy smoking a pipe that falls more into the “aesthetic experience” of it all. Not the aesthetics of the pipe itself, though I do enjoy that. But the more nuanced aesthetic of the experience. A sensory thing. The smells. Tastes, etc. But I really like the feel of a pipe in my hand. Especially when smoking. The way it sits snugly in a cupped palm. The way each one feels subtly different. The small changes in temperatures during a bowl. A rusticated vs smooth finish on the fingertips, or even a cob. Using the pipe as pointer if I’m holding it. It’s kinda of a self-stim, tactile thing that I just find very satisfying.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I subscribe to many of the aspects mentioned already. Also, i like the combination of the relative permanence of the pipes themselves. Some of mine have lasted half my lifetime or more. Whereas the tobacco is so transitory, literally going up in smoke. So it is both the permanence of the pipe and the evanescence (temporary fleeting quality) of the leaf. It mirrors life itself.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
It started off as nostalgia as my dad use to smoke a pipe when I was younger and we smoked cigars when I was in college. I grew out of cigars and smoking for a long time. A friend I worked for would roll his own smoke at the end of the day and I liked that ritual, but never liked cigs and cigars were just too much, so I got into pipes. Now along with relaxing at the end of the day, I love the designs of the pipes, mostly from a distance, but also trying out different blends to find one that really hits home.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Matches 860, Mutton Chop, an anon old man I handyman for at a major discount, I like the Pipesmokers, the bushcrafters, the pioneers. The pipe puts me in touch with a tradition of the pondering, crafty, self sufficient human being. Always been a collector and with each new hobby I acquire (seems each decade now) I go all in ,right now it’s everything pipes. Too bad I got the Covid and can’t taste me baccy…?

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
...Like, love, find fascinating etc?

I think I have found out what my thing is.
I like their durability. The fact that they are crafted from very old school materials, that they can be used again and again becoming more and more intimate to the user for each smoke, yet endure and, with some maintenance, stay functional and indeed beautiful nevertheless.
What is it for you?
I have memories of both my father and grandfather smoking a pipe so for me it's something enjoyable as well as fond memories... win / win.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I found more flavors and more complexities in pipe tobacco than I did with cigars. Even though I was smoking top of the line cigars with tons of aged Cubans, I kept reaching for my pipes and after a short period I sold off my cigar collection. The price was also a main factor as I spent around 20 grand for a 20-25 year supply of pipe tobacco where as with cigars I was spending 20-25 gran every year on cigars. Big time difference even when I included the cost of my pipes. I don't miss the cigars and will never go back to them.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I love how pipes helped me reconnect with my wife. I love the aesthetic and the ritual of pipe smoking. But, my wife and I used to sit outside every night and smoke another type of leafy substance. Unfortunately, my lungs just did not respond well to that over time and I had to give it up. Then other things popped up and we just did not hang out and relax like we used to. So, I used pipe smoking as a reason to sit my ass down outside on the porch with my wife, leave the ipads and phones inside, and simply talk/reconnect. Also, she loves the smell of the pipe tobacco. It reminds her of when she was growing up.

• Love
Reactions: ThermionicScott