PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I was just reading through one of the ask G.L. Pease threads and noted how he prefers matches for lighting his pipe. I use matches sometimes for 2 pipes that have an irregular top and my zippo pipe lighter just can't do the job. I use standard "strike on box" matches. But I absolutely despise how fast these little things go out. What kind of matches do some of you use? And has anyone found the holy grail of matches that isn't as large as a lengthened cigar match, but doesn't burn up as quickly?

B

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I use mostly Diamond matches, the big wood kind, and a few other big kitchen matches,

and the occasional odd book of cardboard matches. Tinder Box, Nat Sherman, and other

pipe shops seem to have a superior source of matches that light more easily and burn

a little more evenly, though I must say, even ordinary matches seem to hold the flame and

do the job, usually. I find I don't want to have a flame in the bowl too long anyway. If a

pipe is packed right, it will touch off fairly quickly in most cases, even with damp tobacco.

Lighting up outdoors, in a breeze or wind, is an art, but that's a second question. I really

don't like lighters. It would be like using a Zippo to light the candles in church, just not

the right mood for the activity.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I like the matches that Pipes & Cigars includes with an order (white tipped). They are more or less the standard strike-on-box size. I wish there was a way to purchase a box. I don't really need a match to last all that long.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Like everyone else Diamond kitchen matches. I do get the green light strike anywhere versions though. I keep the small boxes from the BM and the online stores in my car for emergencies and when I forget my lighter.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Yeah, I use Diamond kitchen matches, too, whenever my Old Boy isn't working (which is often).
I can't imagine these burning out "too quickly", Pipebow. I guess I'm wondering how long you NEED a match to last.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
These are the 30 count boxes of diamond strike on box matches. After it lights and the flame calms down I'm getting 4-5 seconds of burn time before it's on my fingers. I don't need a 30 second match or nothing, but when lighting a bowl at first 4 seconds just don't cut it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
OH! I think we're talking about 2 different things... the 30 count "pocket size" boxes and the larger, 300 count "kitchen" matches.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Well maybe I need to get some "kitchen" matches. I just like the smaller boxes, but I'm fed up with these matches. If I had a b&m close I'd o get a bunch of those matches. I do like the matches at the b&m's.

B

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Big fan of matches here. (For cigars I used a torch lighter). I find matches bring a more natural, gentle flame. I use regular supermarket wooden matches. The green ones. Diamond? Doesn't matters long as they are wooden and not cardboard matches.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I keep both the larger kitchen matches and the smaller size around - as windy as it is around here, I rarely have to worry about burning my fingers.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I'm still using the Maya Mexican matches I find at HEB grocery stores. They seem to burn a bit slower. They are made from cactus quills.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I prefer matches although sometimes, like when outdoors, I have to fire up the old Zippo. I had an order of matches made that have a quote from one of my favorite movies on the box.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
As long as they burn, I use whatever matches I feel like buying at the corner store or when I'm grocery shopping or whatever. Usually wooden matches, sometimes cardboard. Sometimes I buy strike anywhere matches, but I've noticed those have a bit harsher of a taste right after the light, so you gotta let those burn a couple seconds first, not a big deal though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
+1 o the Diamond green box matches. I buy the 3-pack of 300/box at my local Food Lion, about $5. I light with a match 95% of the time. It took me a winter of practice and eventually I learned how to keep them lit outside as well.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Well I'm an idiot. Matches were my problem. The wife picked up some KITCHEN matches ad a 17 second burn time instead of 4 seconds. These will work much better.

B

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
These matches are awful. Half of them won't even strike:

Either of these matches are awesome:

In a pinch, or in the wind, or in the truck I'll use:

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I like the matches that Pipes & Cigars includes with an order (white tipped). They are more or less the standard strike-on-box size. I wish there was a way to purchase a box. I don't really need a match to last all that long.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I use the "kitchen matches" as well. Carrying them is a nightamre though, so I went out and purchased one of those water proof match carring cases from a camping store. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.