PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have been reading these forums a bit over the last few days. I totally see why there are so many different reasons a person buys a pipe. But, I see little mention about hand feel. I have to ask what about hand feel?

I am guilty of buying a pipe just because of the way it felt in my hand. I am also a sucker for many black rustic style bowls because I like the way they feel in my hand, I like the solid grip. I just don't feel the same with the smooth or glossy bowls that I have.

Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I have been reading these forums a bit over the last few days. I totally see why there are so many different reasons a person buys a pipe. But, I see little mention about hand feel. I have to ask what about hand feel?

I am guilty of buying a pipe just because of the way it felt in my hand. I am also a sucker for many black rustic style bowls because I like the way they feel in my hand, I like the solid grip. I just don't feel the same with the smooth or glossy bowls that I have.

Anyone else?
All I can say is , Exactly!!!

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Oh man I used to copyright for similar luxury products and "hand feel" was one of my favorite bullshit descriptors to throw in there and fill out a listing. Is it heavy? Is it smooth? Is it easy to grip? Is it cool metal? Is it soft or hard? Literally any one of these things could fit the descriptor for pleasant hand feel when used to describe a product.

I think all that matters is what feels good to you as the owner!
Different strokes for different folks and all that.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Well the thing that matters most is the smoking characteristics of a pipe. But yes the feel matters too. I prefer smooth pipes myself. Small enough to wrap my hand around, but I have pretty big hands so that means most pipes including large Danish freehands. But I have all types of pipes(smooth, sandblasted, carved, clay, meerschaum, cob). also Kind of like the way a sanded/coated cob feels, like a legend, but that's also a smooth(ish) pipe.

Edit: I do most of my smoking sitting, so large pipes are fine, but I prefer smallish ones. I'm not too fussy really. As I said, the smokability trumps the feel.

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
How a pipe "fits my fist" is a consideration I've often mentioned. I'd need your definition of "hand feel" if I was to provide a better answer. My hand is of sufficient size so finish, rough/smooth, isn't really a consideration. But, after "catching my eye" on display, "fist fit" is the logical and next consideration before inspecting the build, fit and finish.

Reactions: J.GANDY and JPremo

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Haven't really held a pipe I didn't like. Then again, never held custom artisan pipes before. Smooth, rusticated, sandblasted.. they all feel good. Billiards, rhodesians, bulldogs, they all feel good.

Reactions: PipesRock

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Ok, mixed reviews on the topic...:LOL:

I am arthritic and have some grip issues, my hands are average to small hands. So to me the how it fits and feels in my hand is important. I have never dropped a rustic or sandblasted pipe from my hands, but smooth and glossy, bloop, on the floor. I am not a biter so I am either holding my pipe, or it's in the rest.

I just wanted to see what other's opinions were on the subject.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Arthritis plus diabetes neuropathy. No issue holding on to my pipes, or clenching. Just imagine it's a pineapple grenade with the pin pulled out :)

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Pipe smoking is a sensory cornucopia. You have the visual appeal of the pipe, the tin note of the tobacco, the tactile sensation of rubbing out the leaf, the sight of the tobacco; colors and cut, the feel of the pipe in your hand, the taste and aroma of the burning leaf and the feel of St Nic in your blood. TLDR : love the feel of a pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.