PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Ideally corona or lancero. Wrapper to filler ratio = more flavor...In cigars with the same blend and wrappers, those with smaller ring gauges have a higher wrapper to filler ratio and, thus, the wrapper will contribute more to the flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I'm not enough of a cigar smoker (I'm not); I thought the OP was about jewelry. So I'm not versed in cigar circumference, but middle sized works for me. Puny cigars are nice and cheap and make a good short smoke, and Clint Eastwood did miracles for them in the old spaghetti Westerns, but they don't give much of a cigar experience. And the giant cigars, an inch across look so ostentatious, like a college kid at the horse track with mobster fantasies. Much depends on the flavor, though. I like them mellow.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
When I was new, I was taught, and my experience has backed up, that the coronas are sort of an ideal size. They're thick enough to provide complexity and nuance, but thin enough to provide a good clarity of flavor. So coronas, coronas gordas and even toros tend to work really well for me. If I was designing an ideal size for me, it would probably be a 6x46 CG.

I also like lonsdales, lanceros and panatelas, and piramides/torpedos.

I cannot abide by ultra fat cigars. To me, they're uncomfortable in the hand and mouth and provide an airy and muddled experience. If the RG is greater than 52/54, I can really only enjoy them if they're figurados. I don't mind thicker cigars as much if they're pressed, but still don't want anything thicker than a 54, really.

That said, I know the ultra-fats are very popular, and there must be a good reason for it. I don't begrudge anyone their preference.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I’m partial to Cameroon wrappers. Robusto or wider is preferred, though a Cohiba paqueño can be a nice short smoke.
I’m also drawn to box pressed and figurados.

Reactions: danimalia

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Don't smoke cigars often anymore but back when I did Lanceros were my favourite they let the wrapper leaf be in focus and be prominent in the flavour.

Plus Steve McQueen looked so damn cool smoking them in the Thomas Crown Affair.
0c69f401f28da716082f672e65ee1d0b.jpg

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
Robusto 5 x 50,I do like the Rothchild also. I smoke a lot of AJ Fernandez, Last Calls,I usually smoke the Geniales 4.5x48,perfect for a short smoke at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.