PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Central N.C. pretty mild by comparison, into the teens but not minus, and up into the 40's daytime, and getting a little warmer over the weekend. I have seen sub-zero down here that killed some fig trees I had right to the ground, but they sprouted back. Many other perennials didn't. My sister is in the Chicago area and near Lake Michigan, and they are being careful. She and her husband and dog are an intrepid crew; the people traveled during the gov't shutdown, but they are being respectful of the cold. The dog has some husky blood, so he should do okay, for limited turns outside, since he isn't "in shape" for this.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Screenshot-20190131-065636.png

This was the temp when I was at work this morning. I had to hike 2 miles in 2 ft snow. 15 mph wind. Terrible...trains don't like the cold
Coldest day in 25 years

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's my understanding that the Midwest in the U.S. got the weather from the North Pole. Chicago and other cities have had significant fatalities despite active efforts to heard people outside to warming stations. Once people fall asleep in the cold, they're gone, in many cases. If people can, it is better to just hunker down.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
We were up to -2, on my ride home. But now that the sun is down, that will change.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Yeah, kind of a heatwave here in Detroit compared to last night.
0 degrees F with a low of -3
15 above predicted for tomorrow’s high.
Springlike

Status
Not open for further replies.