What’s the deal with Rattray’s Marlin Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have used the microwave approach numerous times, especially with SG FVF. It works but my perception is it does impact the flavor slightly. I'm not a big fan of breaking up a flake but with if the flake is really wet, that may be the only solution for drying it out. Try rubbing out your Marlin Flake into pretty fine pieces. Place that between 2 absorbent paper towels and let sit for a day or two. Since you're experimenting, rub out enough for half a dozen bowls. Smoke a bowl from the paper towel, after a day of drying, then one more for the 5 days after that. See if that solves the problem and see which level of dryness you liked the best. Assuming this works, now you know what you have to do to dry it and for how long.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine

I recently opened a tin of MF, I think it had 10 years of age. Moisture content was close to perfect. Rubbed out a bit of it for my evening smoke, let it dry a few hours. Perfect smoke, no more than usual problem keeping it lit.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
BTW...if you dig Marlin and you can get it try HU Edward G. Great tobacco. Less hassle burning. A little more virginia.

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I'm back on this Thread to give my opinion. I've never noticed any substantial differences (within a certain limit) between dry tobacco and moist tobacco. If a tobacco is fireproof, it remains fireproof even when dry; if a tobacco burns well, it will burn well even when moist.
In fact, I never dry Gawiths because I like them more moist and they don't burn better when dry.
This is obviously just my experience.

For me, smoking a pipe must be a moment of relaxation, I can't go crazy with microwaves or other various tricks, so I take the tobacco - if it's a Flake I crumble it (yes, I crumble it) - and load the pipe.
If you've loaded the pipe well and take care of lighting it, any tobacco will burn; they are made specifically to burn, not to remain unlit.

rmcnabb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2024
In my limited experience, all the flakes turn to concrete in the bowl. I don't smoke them in flake form - I tear it all up fine and cram it back in the tin and leave the lid off for a couple of days, then go from there.

Marlin Flake is fantastic but I have to basically beat it like a red headed stepchild to get it in condition to smoke. If I packed my pipe with actual flakes of this stuff I'd have to throw the pipe away or drill the dottle out with a brace and bit.