What’s Going on with Lane Limited 12 oz Cans?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PeterPipersPizza

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2021
Fresno, CA
Signs of the end times I would bet. lol

I am a huge fan of the Black series as well. Dark is great. I think Royal might be my fav. This news does not bode well with me.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Could be supply chain issues now that CB is now imported from Denmark. I think there are bulk equivalent's to the CB series if that interests you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think one of the big outfits did some serious market research and found out that pipe smokers as a customer base didn't want to commit to a 16, 14, or 12 ounce tub, but would buy a 7 ounce tin and were willing to pay more per ounce if they could pay less for the tin. I've noticed this in the last six months or so, and it seems to be general. Capt. Black has been doing that for a few years, as has Seattle Pipe Club, although SPC never sold tubs that I know of.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Captain Black, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Granger have all switched to 7 ounce cans. I suspect it's like so many other products in that it is a way to raise the price without the consumer noticing. For example, coffee used to come in one-pound cans, then they were shrunk to 12 or even 10 ounces.

As far as Captain Black Dark, I would suggest you try Lane BCA. I can't tell the difference in the two and most people say they are the same thing. Plus it's a lot cheaper in bulk.

Reactions: Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Agreed. It’s a sound business decision I ordered another 8 of the 12 ounce tubs. When they’re sold off, the price of tobacco just went UP for me! I wish I could buy more before they’re history.

I’ve also noticed some new reviewers who have pulled the pin on a 7 ounce tin, (whom would not have committed to a 12) now love Granger — having tried it for the first time. Sound business decision.