PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Marty and Steve are on the hook for paying for the show. If something goes wrong, it's their necks. With all the uncertainty I think they made a prudent decision. I'm disappointed, but not surprised.
If it was for this reason, I wish they would have been more explicit in their messaging. The way it reads on the site just makes it sound like they have been getting hand-wringing emails from people worried about putting a mask on for a couple hours while they travel to Las Vegas and voicemails from stressed out collectors wondering who is going to prevent the unvaccinated guys from crossing the threshold.

In other words, a little more explanation about the “unresolved issues” would go a long way to helping us understand why this was a prudent decision vs. an overreaction.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If it was for this reason, I wish they would have been more explicit in their messaging. The way it reads on the site just makes it sound like they have been getting hand-wringing emails from people worried about putting a mask on for a couple hours while they travel to Las Vegas and voicemails from stressed out collectors wondering who is going to prevent the unvaccinated guys from crossing the threshold.

In other words, a little more explanation about the “unresolved issues” would go a long way to helping us understand why this was a prudent decision vs. an overreaction.
Maybe. But it's their show, their risks, and their business, just like the McNeils and their decision regarding closing McClelland. They "owe" us nothing. They made a decision and it's done. Second guessing and Monday morning quarterbacking is pointless.

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
This is unfortunate. As others have said, their reasoning makes little sense. No one here in Vegas is policing anything with regard to mask wearing or vaccination status. Events and venues look just like 2019 here.

I know nothing about the organizer of this event, nor what part of the country they live, but I think the least they could have done is have some eyes on the ground in the city they planned to hold this in. Some cities/states are still being very cautious, and I can understand thinking everywhere is like that. But Vegas is totally open. We have to be - tourism is our lifeblood.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Maybe. But it's their show, their risks, and their business, just like the McNeils and their decision regarding closing McClelland. They "owe" us nothing. They made a decision and it's done. Second guessing and Monday morning quarterbacking is pointless.
Of course they don’t owe us anything. (And I will point out that I didn’t use that word.) But I would assume they would want people to pay to attend when the show Is back on. In that sense, we are their customers. Unlike the McNeils, who were going out of business, Marty and Steve presumably want the show to be a success when it does get reinstated so a little extra effort in the messaging now (which costs them nothing) would pay dividends down the road.

Reactions: GothPiper

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Marty is a great guy, and one of the organizers, but the decision to call off the show is mind boggling. Even California is fully open with packed out, maskless baseball stadiums. I’m going to guess that some of the old timers were still scared to go out and that influenced their decision.

How do we step up to the plate and organize a new pipe show? I don’t care if it’s in a parking lot under some EZ-Ups.

dochowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Torrance, CA
Marty is a great guy, and one of the organizers, but the decision to call off the show is mind boggling. Even California is fully open with packed out, maskless baseball stadiums. I’m going to guess that some of the old timers were still scared to go out and that influenced their decision.

How do we step up to the plate and organize a new pipe show? I don’t care if it’s in a parking lot under some EZ-Ups.
If it makes you feel better, I will setup a table with some pipes and tobacco tins for sale in front of my house. Start small this year then branch out next year.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's a massive undertaking to put on such an event. It's not just about Covid, masks, and fears, or the hosts shying away from work. There are all sorts of logistics to be handled, some way in advance, made nigh impossible by the vagaries of various governments - Fed, State, local- and the hotels that interpret such rules/laws/"guidance" etc..

I am very disappointed there's no show to go to this year, but I am grateful for the events Steve and Marty have handled in the past.

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
I think that Marty and Steve, the fellows who would after all be left holding the bag, made a reasonable decision, given the times we’re in.

It’s a time of prejudice, as both private entities as well as various governments are succumbing to mob pressure and are pushing against anything tobacco-related.

It’s a time of panic, and both public figures and the media are already trumpeting the onset of the latest variant of the coronavirus, and calling for renewed restrictions.

It’s a time of Constitutional overreach, as Federal executive orders and bench decisions seem to be trying to hastily supersede every decision the states make.

Status
Not open for further replies.