We're Going to London. Location Recommendations Please.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My wife and I are going to London for 10 days in early November for our 45th anniversary.

We're thinking about staying in Airbnbs west of Heathrow and taking the train into London the first few days. After a few days we want to travel around visiting other cities.

Some of the towns we're considering staying in the first few nights are Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead. Any thoughts on these choices? Or, any thoughts of nice towns near Heathrow?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Never been there, have wanted to go, but i hate to fly.. which is amusing for someone that travels a lot for work and was Airborne Assault, just not over oceans. You can visit Ajay Patels cigar shop and buy one of those $880 or whatever new Cohibas! Be sure to post a review =D

Reactions: JOHN72

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Never been there, have wanted to go, but i hate to fly.. which is amusing for someone that travels a lot for work and was Airborne Assault, just not over oceans. You can visit Ajay Patels cigar shop and buy one of those $880 or whatever new Cohibas! Be sure to post a review =D
If I spent $880 on a cigar, I may not be coming home on the same flight as my wife.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
If I spent $880 on a cigar, I may not be coming home on the same flight as my wife.
"But baby it's our anniversary!" .. no? Yah didn't think so.

Still jealous almost had a project with Paramount, well their data company, it would have been 12 weeks living and working in London on the company dime, it was set to start 2 weeks after Covid hit... so that was the end of that, I was very let down.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
We’ve been to Scotland twice and Ireland once and each trip was just over two weeks. The Scotland trips were Highlands/Fife and Ayrshire/East Lothian with basically one week “bases” in great vacation rentals. Ireland was more spread out but a solid week plus near Killarney. I just can’t do “death march” trips and love driving and exploring around an area. London likely 4-5 days with side trips out from there and then either over/to Wales or if we get lucky again in The Old Course lottery, a train up to Fife from London and there again for at least 10 days. I’m excited just thinking about someone else’s trip, lol. I figure London will be the “usual” sites, plus a show in the West End, a train to Highclere Castle for a day (yep, “Downton Abbey”) and I’m not sure I couldn’t spend 2 days in the British Museum alone - now I’ll be digging out the books and maps again!! Sounds awesome!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Yes to Windsor, nice tobacconist there too.
No to Maidenhead & a big fat no to slough.
Beaconsfield is a lovely little town, short train ride west of Heathrow. (They filmed a lot of Midsomer Murders there).
I’ll pop back to this thread after I’ve had a think.
Great. Thanks

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Yes to Windsor, nice tobacconist there too.
No to Maidenhead & a big fat no to slough.
Beaconsfield is a lovely little town, short train ride west of Heathrow. (They filmed a lot of Midsomer Murders there).
I’ll pop back to this thread after I’ve had a think.
This. Do not go to Slough. Betjeman wrote a poem about Slough with visions of it being bombed to destruction. But even that can't make Slough interesting. Truly a cultural wasteland, nothing but factories and warehouses.

Can't really think of that many places that are good within immediate proximity to London, the UK is that London-centric. St. Albans is the nearest city to London and is a cracking place. In Roman Britain it was the largest settlement outside of London, and you can still see remnants of Roman architecture. It also has an amazing Cathedral which was built sometime in the 12 century. There is a tobacconist there, but you'd probably be disappointed with the tobaccos on sale, nothing you won't be familiar with. I do remember seeing some nice pipes though.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
London is a great place to sightsee and very walkable. All of the tourist spots in the city are within a few minute tube ride.
May not be what you’re looking for, but one of the highlights of our London trip was taking the Eurostar over to Paris for a day. Go first class, worth the extra coin.
We spent 9 days in Paris in 2018...loved it.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
London is a great place to sightsee and very walkable. All of the tourist spots in the city are within a few minute tube ride.
May not be what you’re looking for, but one of the highlights of our London trip was taking the Eurostar over to Paris for a day. Go first class, worth the extra coin.
Haha, the best place to visit when in London is Paris!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Do be aware Scott, there have been rail strikes & tube strikes going on and off for months! Hopefully all will be sorted come your visit.

If you can stretch a little further on the map, there are some stunning old villages and small towns down Sussex way, and some glorious ales to be found.

In the smoke itself, the British Museum would be a must see as would the V&A Gallery.

Regards,

Jay.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
All great suggestions (Greenwich is like going to the seaside in London, but with some great museums and history - my favourite London day out!). Oxford is quite an easy trip from London, but it does get extraordinarily busy - excellent tobacconist there though.

If you or your wife are Harry Potter fans you could go to the original Diagon Alley, I used to do homeless outreach round there.