PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Visited the doc yesterday, and talked about stress. Namely, working all the time in a high stress job with little outlet during the Covid pandemic. Some medical warning lights were flashing, which are now largely resolved. I have taken some things off my plate, become more active and now actively attack stress sources instead of powering through or ignoring. I think I’m starting to feel better.

His words to me, were: “if you don’t manage stress, it WILL take you down a road you don’t want to go down, requiring medical intervention.“

I believe him, unfortunately from experience now that I’m in my mid 40s.

My opinion is not a medical one, but what I consider a personal and informed one. Light use of pipe tobacco to assist in relaxation, and enjoying being outside on a walk with the dog has been a part of my recovery. We shouldn’t ignore the health risks of tobacco use, but being overweight and being constantly stressed is likely just as bad or worse for you. A good diet, daily physical activity, enjoying pleasurable activities (pipe smoking is included) will assist in leading a more healthy and balanced life. I feel better after adding infrequent pipe smoking into my life, and I know I am healthier for it! I know medical personnel are probably cringing at that statement right now!

Thank you for sharing your experiences and being a small part of my experience in feeling better. “The dose dost make the poison”.

regards,
OM

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Like you, I find pipe smoking outdoors to be a remedy for stress...quietly watching the birds at my feeders, enjoying fine weather, participating in sports activities, etc. I am a first hand observer of what extreme stress can do, ad I watched it slowly destroy my Dad, leading to his premature death at age 52.
I vowed that it would never get that bad for me. Take regular time to chill and reassess!

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
My humble opinion is that you are on the right track. We should have outlets to reduce stress because other activities can be destructive and harmful. Pipe smoking will provide you with calmness, and time to reflect. Lot cheaper than seeing a psychiatrist or taking unneeded medication. Not a Doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.
Cheers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know what's possible for you in your situation, but to toss out an idea or two: When I was working, I was able to take a lunch break that included a walk. At first this seems kind of profligate, like I was playing on my employer's time. However, after a few such walks, I realized I was remembering tasks that had gotten brushed aside and coming up with solutions to work related problems. It was some of the most productive time I spent, and I could also daydream and relax a little too. You can work too hard and get less done, I learned.

For years, I had good results with yoga classes. At first I just felt self-conscious. It didn't help that my first class I ended up next to a woman I knew from work. But it all went pretty well, and was a boon to relaxation, limberness, and a sense of wellbeing. Also, at least try meditation. The routine of being able to be quiet and still, and mange that without restlessness or falling asleep is useful in many situations.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
True,’but living means stress. A routine of using your brain and body plus diet goes a long way. Yes, nicotine helps, but it becomes a crutch. Don’t mix business and pleasure.

Reactions: JOHN72

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Light use of pipe tobacco to assist in relaxation, and enjoying being outside on a walk with the dog has been a part of my recovery.
I'd say all three are important: the pipe to focus on enjoyment and contemplation, getting outside to keep a connection with the natural world, and being around companion animals. I know my cats keep me grounded and remind me what is important in life.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I had a similar experience, though nothing was ever diagnosed, but I could feel those things coming. I had a very high stress job for 15 years; long hours, putting out fires everyday, never knowing when my day would be over, etc. A few years ago I was lucky enough to find something else in the same field with a much better work/life balance. I have more time day to day for everything, not the least of which is regular exercise and more sleep on a regular schedule (no longer interrupted by constant work worries). Suffice it to say that I’m 10 years younger now than I was 5 years ago.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
This might sound silly, but it works!

Be like Spock! LOL ?

I’m not joking, practice being like Spock in your life, and one day you will see. ;)

Don’t let emotions control/rule your life, be in control of them.

Just because you look like your are non caring in the world’s eyes as emotionless, it’s not important.

Actions should also speak louder than emotions. Do by showing, not by feeling.

To much of the world expects us to emotionally act in a certain way, but you don’t have to.

Practice being like Spock, logical, not emotional and you will be healthier! ;)

3133DAE6-B5A2-452C-A3DB-F1119F8FB945.jpeg

P.S. Ask yourself why are you even stressed in the first place? It’s a choice you make, and many countries and lifestyles drive people to it, so you can’t accept it into your life.

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
When I went to the doctor for depression and anxiety meds, I told her I also smoked a pipe. After giving me a fake " Would you like to quit?" And me cutting her off and saying "no", the Dr told me " Well I'm glad you at least have something to help with the stress".

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've self medicated myself with tobacco for stress and depression since I was quite young.
Many think it's the nicotine but I'd disagree.

Since switching to a pipe from a serious cigarette addiction, I only smoke blends with mild Vit N.
It's the ritual of smoking itself that works for me.
Often I find myself holding an unlit pipe and sucking on it absent mindedly [tastes much better when the bowl is loaded :) ] so it works for me as prayer beads work for others.
Or like an adult pacifier.

Meditation has also been of huge benefit to me in many ways.
I'm far less reactive since I've learnt several forms of meditation.

There are many different ways to relax ones mind.
The trick is to find what works for oneself [It must be enjoyable or it's wasted effort AFAIC]
Some find that through yoga, guided meditation, contemplating ones navel while others find pastimes like fishing alone works for them.
Quietly puffing on ones pipe while watching a sunset is another.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
This might sound silly, but it works!

Be like Spock! LOL ?

I’m not joking, practice being like Spock in your life, and one day you will see. ;)

Don’t let emotions control/rule your life, be in control of them.

Just because you look like your are non caring in the world’s eyes as emotionless, it’s not important.

Actions should also speak louder than emotions. Do by showing, not by feeling.

To much of the world expects us to emotionally act in a certain way, but you don’t have to.

Practice being like Spock, logical, not emotional and you will be healthier! ;)

View attachment 150144

P.S. Ask yourself why are you even stressed in the first place? It’s a choice you make, and many countries and lifestyles drive people to it, so you can’t accept it into your life.
+1 ?LL&P !

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
When I went to the doctor for depression and anxiety meds, I told her I also smoked a pipe. After giving me a fake " Would you like to quit?" And me cutting her off and saying "no", the Dr told me " Well I'm glad you at least have something to help with the stress".
A couple of years ago when I was admitted to hospital, when my attending doctors asked if I was still smoking I said "No. I haven't had a cigarette since I switched to a pipe over ten years ago."
Expecting to have to explain the difference between cigs and pipe tobacco, I was pleasantly surprised when they smiled and replied "Very good"

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
One of my bosses who was in charge of an artillery battery in Korea told me something he learned from a Sargent there with regard to any problem: "If there is something you can do about it then do it and don't worry about it; if there is nothing you can do about it then don't worry about it."
That’s good Army advice. I knew some great NCOs when I was in.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I also have the saying, which helps to the change the perspective of how you look at things, not as such a negative word/association; ‘problem(s)’.

‘There are no problems in life, only challenges to overcome.’

Or to say to yourself;

‘I have no problems in life, only challenges to overcome’.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I also have the saying, which helps to the change the perspective of how you look at things, not as such a negative word/association; ‘problem(s)’.

‘There are no problems in life, only challenges to overcome.’

Or to say to yourself;

‘I have no problems in life, only challenges to overcome’.
To badly paraphrase a saying of the US Navy Seals : 'The only tough day was yesterday; there's nothing the world is going to throw at me today that I cannot handle' ... ( I read that in an autobiography or something very similar to it. )

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I'm trying to figure out how to balance my pipe smoking as a stress reducer (I like to sit on the porch, smoke a pipe, and read) with dental/gum health now. The smoke is a gum irritant and the dentist noticed, even though I only smoke 2-5 pipefuls a week. Nobody wants gum disease. :(